Felt MProvements, New Saddle Bags!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Felt MProvements

So I am back at it. I have spent the past few months doing all the ground work for getting custom wheels built. Years ago I got some of the 2.5" wide rims from Cycles US. I wanted to install them on my Schwinn. I hit some stumbling blocks along the way. Most notably a bike snob dude at a mtb specific LBS who insisted that those wheels would NEVER work with a cruiser tire. :roll: I am still really a noob when it comes to this hobby but I am a pretty decent fabricator and in my job I constantly have to use mechanical parts in ways they were never intended so I left that bike shop went home and promptly mounted a cruiser tire on one of the rims to prove (to myself) that it could be done. Well that mtb snob clearly had no clue and obviously didn't get rat rod and cruiser kulture to begin with. Distractions and other interferences popped up and I literally ended up sitting on the wide rims for YEARS. Now with the acquisition of the new MP and my interest in bikes rekindled I started thinking about what to do with the hoops. As I may have mentioned, I was slightly disappointed that the 2012 MP had black rims. I think the OD green rims makes a better look. I thought about masking all the spokes and nipples and painting the stock rims. But then I started thinking about those wide hoops from Cycles US. :idea:Wouldn't it be awesome to take the 2.5" wide rims, get some new hubs, add a few more gears, maybe brakes (keep it old school with a drum front), paint up the hubs and hoops and lace the whole deal up with some nice black spokes. Not only do I FINALLY do something with the wide rims but I get a more custom look from the wider wheels and I end up with a surplus fully complete set of black Felt wheels in the end that I can install on my Schwinn.

OK so I had my marching orders. First thing I did was visit my local powder coater. He had some matte dark green powder sitting on the shelf that happened to be pretty close to the MP's od green. It was some high end architectural stuff so I had him shoot the hoops with it.
IMG_0677.JPG

IMG_0676.jpg

The powder coat was good but it was not a perfect match. A buddy of mine told me that he has used powder coat as an ultra durable primer for a custom color that he then shoots over it. I figured that was a good idea so scuffed the powder coat with a scotch brite and used the lacquer that I had previously found that is a decent match to the MP green. To add a little extra protection I sprayed the rims with matte clear coat. I also wiped the hubs down with lacquer thinner scuffed them with a scotch brite, wiped em down again, and sprayed them too.

I thought long and hard about lacing my own wheels. As I mentioned before, I am still sort of a noob so I was a little intimidated by it. It looks like there are a bunch of tools that I would have to build or buy and I don't have any immediate plans to build more than this one set of wheels so I decided to go talk to Justin the bike mechanic over at Motostrano/Suburban Bikes in Redwood City CA. This shop is still pretty new, they started primarily as a motorcycle shop. At one point they started selling Felt cruisers because they sorta have the look of vintage motorcycles, but now it seems that bicycles have almost taken the place over. So after chatting with Justin about the wheel build I realized that he was not only really passionate about bikes (and wheel building in particular) but he was really into the idea of helping out with the project. He quoted me a price of $60 to lace and true a wheel, that includes spoke length calculation too. He assured me he would be extra careful not to scratch or chip the paint on the hubs and rims. So weighing the options I decided to bite the bullet and have Justin do the wheel build. Well he did a fantastic job. And on the day he was building up the wheels he sent me several photos of the process. Here are some of the pics he sent:

wheel%20lacing.jpg

wheel%20truing.jpg

wheels%20done.jpg

So I went over to the shop and picked up the completed wheels yesterday and do they look sick! Justin did an excellent job and he proved himself to be a an incredibly accurate and conscientious wheel builder. He pre stressed and checked for tension and true three times. The wheels look like they are straight from the military surplus warehouse! I cant wait to get them on the bike. When I picked them up I was on a lunch break from work so I couldn't help but unwrap one of them, throw it up on the workbench and admire it a little bit.

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

Back at home I was able to prop one up next to the bike and see what my dog thinks:
IMG_0766.JPG

IMG_0767.JPG

Regards,

irideiam said:
3 wheeled wolfy said:
iven said:
i feel that 'Felt', will be the 'Schwinn' of yester year..
come on. i know someone else gotta see it too :p
Idk the electra's sell better,with better distribution.

I agree it will be Electra

actually yeah come to think of it they do have alot more bikes out there..

but it makes me think something else.. since Aluminum frames have become more popular, more bikes will survive much longer and cant rust apart anymore, making them more avaliable then a forgotten steel bikes that rust apart over time..

aluminum takes thousands of years to break down :)

While I wait for some free time to install my new wheels there is some time to fab up a blackout light for the MP project. I decided to modify an Avenir Interurban bike light into a fully functional vintage military style blackout light.

First I needed to fabricate an aluminum bracket to mount the light in the customary location slightly above and to the left of the service light.

IMG_0469.JPG

Bracket installed-- not yet painted though.

IMG_0467.JPG

With the light.

IMG_0468.JPG

Mounting location is good. Blackout lights are usually smaller than service lights so scale is good too.

Now to make the Avenir light look less like a modern bike light and more like something from the WWII motor pool :mrgreen:

IMG_0796.JPG

Bezel and hood formed and fabricated from ABS plastic. Solvent welded to the bike light.

IMG_0797.JPG

outer bezel and hood can be removed by removing the six little screws. The button head screws are only temporary. I am replacing them with black stainless screws.

IMG_0798.JPG

Lower portion of the lens will have a small cover mask installed to keep the light covert for night ops.

I smoothed the transition between the bezel and the body of the light with a little Bondo. Then it was time for paint. I am still using the USAF Green lacquer that is a decent match to the Felt MP green.

IMG_0803.JPG

Now it's a fully operational blackout light!

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

Operation is the same as the stock Avenir light with three brightness setting and flash modes.

IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

Brackets, service light and some other parts drying after paint.

Hopefully I'll have some time to install the lights tomorrow or Saturday.

Regards,

Looking awesome!! Love that bike.
Used to be in the WWII jeep scene some years ago, some guys used to put everything they have ever seen put, hanging or carried by a jeep into their own... just like that pic of the extremely shining Harley up there AVOID DOING THIS TO THE MP! :lol:

This said, I have somethings laying around that you could use...
Browning%2520y%2520Tommy.JPG

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That Thompson is the right idea. A leather scabbard on the front fork for one of those would look good :wink: . Good advice on not cluttering it up. I could see how it could be tempting to add every accessory you can think of. I'm going to keep it pretty basic. Lights, Bags, more gears, brakes, etc. All functional additions. The blackout lights on the old motor bikes were just too cool so I had to add em. I want all mods to look like they belong there so I'll keep it clean. :mrgreen:

Regards,

So I actually managed to sneak some time on Friday evening to install my lights. I was poking around online looking at headlamps for WWII military vehicles and I have seen some Jeeps and Mutts with amber colored headlights for fog. I had a chunk of amber colored clear film laying around at work and I thought it might be interesting to use it to tint the stock bullet headlamp. It looks pretty neat I think-- at least it's unique. It was easy to do. Just pop out the lens and reflector. Trace around the lens with an X-Acto knife to cut the amber film to size. Sandwich the film behind the lens and reinstall assembly. Cool thing is it is totally reversible back to clear if I want. Easy enough to pull the hunk o' yellow film back out if I get fed up with it. I'm thinking its pretty cool right now though.

IMG_0816.jpg

New lights installed. Here is the MP guarding a radio tower site in my hood.

IMG_0823.JPG

Here is the new forward aiming lights. I am pretty stoked with how these came out. I tested the lights out last night. The blackout light works well though it doesn't do a heck of a lot unless it is set on one of the two brightest settings, or flash. The yellow tint looks slick but makes the already anemic bullet headlight even more wimpy at night. The aim is good though. The bullet lamp casts a yellow circle on the ground and if I kick on the blackout light it plops a white spot right in the center of the yellow circle. More pics:

IMG_0818.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0819.jpg

The paint on the lights turned out really good. This color seems to match the MP green perfectly in daylight but under the florescent shop lights in my garage it's a little off :shock: I can live with it though. Besides I already committed to this color and my rims and hubs are painted with it on the new wheels too. Besides I have seen plenty of real military vehicles and they always have at least ten different shades of green as they add and replace parts. I still have to do a little fiddling with the brackets and braces that secure the lights because some of the holes didn't quite line up right after paint :!:

IMG_0832.JPG

Patrolling the hood. Another overall shot with the new lights installed.

Still chomping at the bit to install the new wheels but I want a nice solid weekend day to tackle that. Stay tuned.

Regards,

I had a free moment yesterday afternoon and I couldn't wait around anymore on the new wheels so before I knew it I had the grip/shifter off, the stock rear wheel was out and the tire was off the rim. I got the rear tire mounted up to the new wheel and installed it on the bike. Today I'll try to get the shifter installed and maybe even the front wheel. The wide rim on the rear looks incredible though. Clearances with the chain stays, fender supports, etc have tightened up quite a bit with these rims but there still seems to be at least 1/4" all the way around so I think I am good. I'll try to get a pic or two up soon! :mrgreen:

Regards,

Those are fantastic upgrades! I can't wait to see those fat rims on that bike! Will they fit???

I pick my son's MP up on Saturday or Sunday. I had them swap some Electra Classic Cruiser 26x2.35's for the stock Quick Bricks to give it a fatter look. I never got a rear panier, but I think I'm going to ask the guy who makes them to do a custom set for him. I've got the leather scabbard, but since the bike has been hiding at the shop I haven't had a chance to mount it to the fork. I'll try that this weekend.

when i bought my chief a few years ago i had a hard time choosing between it and the MP. love the changes you've made so far and i'm excited to see those wheels mounted.

I don't know if you've replaced your stock QuickBricks. If you haven't, I would look at the Electra Classic Cruiser diamond pattern. I got a set put on my son's MP and I saw it last night. They really fill out the rims/fenders, and the diamond pattern give it a good solid military look. They are 26 x 2.35

https://store.electrabike.com/eSource/e ... 88464.aspx

688464_LG.jpg

Thanks for the comments!

Crash, What rifle scabbard did you get? Inquiring minds want to know. 8) Those vintage diamonds are cool looking tires. I have put some research into new tires. At first I wanted to find some Berm Masters but all I could find is the 24x3 size. I was thinking about Holy Rollers as a possibility but the vintage diamond might look more.... well... vintage. Here's the deal, I got the rear wheel on and the wide wheel looks amazing but the clearances are tight. Don't get me wrong, it totally fits, but the wheel is 1/2" wider than stock so it might be a little bit of a gamble to try to cram a larger tire in there too. For now I just re mounted the stock Bricks. Now that I am familiar with installation of the 8 speed hub I would consider swapping out the tires to something else later.

The front brake hub install is going to require a little bit of fabrication. I have to fabricate some sort of clamp to secure the brake arm to the fork. I also don't have a brake lever yet. I can still install the wheel though and just not connect the brake yet. Maybe tomorrow I'll sneak a moment to make some headway on the front wheel and then I promise I'll get come pictures up. I have put a few miles on the new rear hub already. After riding with three speeds for years it is interesting getting used to have five additional gears. I appreciate the low granny gear for a heavy bike like the MP though. :mrgreen:

Gdcast, I am going to be fabricating rear lights from scratch. My plan is to do a service tail light and a blackout tail light.

Regards,

two spot said:
Crash, What rifle scabbard did you get? Inquiring minds want to know. 8)
Heck if I know. It's a leather color that hopefully matches the seat/grips. I'm picking it up Saturday and will bring the scabbard with me and attach it to the fork.

Re: Felt MProvements Wheels On!

I see how it is Crash. :? Hiding your sources eh? :wink: I guess what I meant was is the scabbard new or surplus, custom made, purchased online? Not a big deal. It's something I might consider adding down the road. It is definitely one of those just-for-fun types of deals though. Please post some pics of your sons MP when you can I would love to see how it looks with those tires and the scabbard too. :mrgreen:

I just looked at Electra's store and they definitely have some intersting tire options that are the same size as the bricks so if I get too skeered about trying to fit the fat rubber I could opt for one of these:

688300_LG.jpg

Or maybe:
688299_LG.jpg

So I mounted the front wheel last night and I was finally able to admire the new look. The wider rims definitely look like they belong on the bike. I really happy with the painted hubs too. I think it really gives the whole thing a solid unified look. Here are some pics from this mornings pre-apocalypse ride :wink:

IMG_0861.JPG

The new hoops make the tires look fatter. 8) Clearances are pretty close now. I have about 1/4" to spare. On today's ride I noticed that the little "bristle" things that are on the tires touch the fender stays. :shock: But all was good on todays ride with no rubbing or anything so I think I'm good!

IMG_0865.JPG

Custom painted Nexus 8 sp. hub.

IMG_0866.JPG

IMG_0867.JPG

I do love the stock bullet stem caps. :D Stock wheels were 50mm wide and these new ones are 65mm.

IMG_0868.JPG

Custom painted front hub. I still have to fabricate the brake arm bracket and install the cable and lever but for now I am rollin'!

And a few overall shots. Hope you enjoy:

IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

Next parts to be added: I have some stitched vintage brown grips coming, saddle bags :?: and rear lights.

Regards,

Re: Felt MProvements Wheels On!

two spot said:
I see how it is Crash. :? Hiding your sources eh? :wink: I guess what I meant was is the scabbard new or surplus, custom made, purchased online?
:lol: Sorry, didn't follow your original question. Actually a friend who lives in San Jose had an extra and sent it to me as a present. So no source I can reveal. Plus, I don't even know how it's going to work yet.

Re: Felt MProvements, Wheels On!

TS, that bike looks ridiculously good! Those rims/hubs just make it! However I do think they stretch/flatten that tire out. I'd say go fatter, but if you are already short on space you may not be able.

You've... (unfortunately for my wallet) inspired me to hit the LSS today and pick up his saddle bags. I wasn't going to right away, but I'm doing it. And maybe that little bag for the front? We'll see.

Latest posts

Back