Fender ornament HELP

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up rat friends! I recently purchased this fender ornament for my new build. I am a little worried because I just found out it is made out of zinc and I have read that zinc isn't very durable. What would be the best way to make this more resistant to corrosives? Would some type of chrome, bronze, or brass plating be the best option? Or is there some type of lacquer/ enamel I could apply to it? Any advice would help. THANKS!
T2eC16VHJHQE9nzEyl86BRV2R3iUCw60_3_zpsb5b7bd72.jpg

T2eC16NHJH8E9qSEU5gGBRV2R1tfiQ60_3_zps95661ea5.jpg

T2eC16REE9s2ugN8jBRV2Ryjzrg60_3_zpse7e6b065.jpg

I'm not sure I'd worry about corrosion, as they coat items with zinc in order to protect them from corrosion. It's called electro-galvanization. Steel is often electro-galvanized in large scale construction, such as skyscrapers, or bridges.

I would have to go with "deven_science" on this one. Zinc probably has more of a problem with it's brittleness rather than having a corrosion problem. They used to add it to lead back in the day when lead was used in the printing process, it was added to give it a harder property. You could clear coat if desired, but probably not necessary. COOL ornament by the way! 8)

Thanks for the info Devon_Science. Appreciated!

Pic? WHat can i do to make this less brittle? THANKS!

10morales said:
Pic? WHat can i do to make this less brittle? THANKS!

Nothing that I can think of, just don't crash it! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

Back