Fender Rehab ???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on fender rehab? The years do a lot in terms of dents and general loss of shape. I'm open to using bondo... will that effect the powder finishing process?

I don't think powder will adhere to bondo. I believe there is an electrostatic charge that makes the powder cling to the part before it gets baked on. Bondo might interfere with that.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

This trophy made of empty beer cans...PM me your mailing address. :lol:

610x.jpg

All you'd need is conductive silver ink. It is used in plating. It's a bit pricey but if you have several projects it might pay to try it. You can do the "impossible" with it. You can cover something non-conductive like a golf ball with the ink, then brush plate it with copper, then finish plate it with silver. I don't know for sure but I'd bet it would work with powder coating. I restore old military medals and have done a bit of plating. B607

bicycleguy said:
what about led filler?
nope....body solder(aka lead) wont work for powder coating and akalocojoe im pretty sure the filler you were talking about is the metal to metal but that wouldnt work either(its aluminum)
what are the fenders from? it might be easier to just get different ones.......or you could always learn how to metal finish and just repair the old one with out using filler(itll take a lot of practice and time but always a good skill to have)......

sensor said:
what are the fenders from? it might be easier to just get different ones.......or you could always learn how to metal finish and just repair the old one with out using filler(itll take a lot of practice and time but always a good skill to have)......

These are original 24" fenders on a late 50's to earlier 60's bike. At this point I'm weighing out different options and quite frankly I may be thinking way too much about it :)

New fenders have crossed my mind, and I am still open to that. The orig fenders have a lot of character though (a lot of wideness and roundness) and they are a good solid fit... in other words, they work with the bike as a whole. I'm concerned that new fenders may be an odd fit.

I've checked out the fiberglass fender How To. This may find its way to the table.

My current running plan is to keep the originals (dents and all) and distress the new paint to match.

Back