Fifties French & Fabulous

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A couple of years ago at veloswap in sf there was a guy who had about twenty five junky french bikes arranged in a semicircle under a few tables with old french parts and accessories up top on the tables. Like a mega barnfind in the midwest, but only french. Very curious. Me and my girlfriend stood transfixed staring at the old french bikes. balloon tired with weird sizes, yellow headlamps, aluminum hammertone fenders. All of them junky, but in a good way. All of them had crazy price tags on strings hanging from the handlebars, 400 or 500 dollars, later for that. There was a few photos of his tables on flickr, but I can no longer find them.

Before christmas I was at a friends shop and he had one of these bikes, still with the string from the pricetag hanging from the bars. He was liquidating some of his collection and this one was going, sweet.

It's a Hero. It's French, not the indian brand of bike. Single speed with Simplex dropouts, 28 x 1-1/2" wheels, wingnuts, bottle generator, a le pratique chainguard, and subtle yellow pinstriping on all of the tubes.

Now I need to find 40-635 tires.
IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0175.jpg

I might be able to get tires for you at a good price, I just helped a guy clean up his shop and he had about 50 28" tires, I can check the exact size next weekend. Let me know

They will be 28 x 1-1/2" or 40-635 or the french 700b. Not to be confused with the other 28 x 1-1/2,700c.

bead seat diameter is 635mm it's the same size as the old raleigh DL-1. Thanks.

All you really need is a Beret and a White flag! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
L8 EM

Which bars are you running? 1st pic or 3rd? I like the ones in pic 3, look kinda like mustache bars...

Well since it is french, if you ever need to retreat you should be covered! :lol: Anyway, that is a cool looking bike, I like that front fender!

66olds98 said:
I might be able to get tires for you at a good price, I just helped a guy clean up his shop and he had about 50 28" tires, I can check the exact size next weekend. Let me know

Ummm...me too please. If they are for sale, I need some 28s.

Buck Masterson said:
Well since it is french, if you ever need to retreat you should be covered! :lol: Anyway, that is a cool looking bike, I like that front fender!

If it was a 3-speed, it would have one forward, two in reverse. :D But enough French bashing, I love those people... I'll share some pics of my own recent French score soon.

practical

When I bought it it had an ideale seat and one piece stem and bars that were way too low. I replaced them both with schwinn pieces.

I think I'll order the tires from bikepartsusa, they're cheap and I've got an account.

Bunbury said:
Buck Masterson said:

If it was a 3-speed, it would have one forward, two in reverse. :D But enough French bashing, I love those people... I'll share some pics of my own recent French score soon.

no sorry their's just not enuff french bashing IMO

as a New Zealander it's hard to forget the terrorist bombing the french government ordered in our country a few years ago. The first president to visit DW after 911 was the french bloke that ordered the bombing, cool eh. DW friend of the terrorist, makes me all warm and fuzzy.

aahh but if it wern't for the french we would have to drink good wine.

Every tube on this bike has yellow and white pinstriping, or at least remnants of them.
IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

I put on a crusty old brooks and switched out the bars for a rustier pair.
I made a mistake putting the bars on, I cleaned them up!
The brooks B72 doesn't look right, it's too flat. I'll leave it on until I find something better.
I used it for critical mass last night and I got a lot of compliments on it.

IMG_001.jpg

IMG_002.jpg

Back