FINALLY! bike #13

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to Stop and Shop or WalMart and get this stuff called "Scratch-Out" It is in a Yellow plastic bottle. Use a damp cloth for rubbing it on and a dry cotton rag for buffing. Go easy on pinstripes and decals and that paint will shine!

Joe

rubbing compound followed by glaze followed by wax. all by hand with a flannel rag. itll shine like theres no tomorrow....oil will work if you want it rusty with a shine(and a ton of dirt first windy day or if you go on an unpaved path :lol: )
if you do decide to go the compound/glaze/wax route i can give you a heads up on what to use and how
nice score btw(and for simpleman im assuming that was a guys bike that went for that price.........correct?)

sensor said:
rubbing compound followed by glaze followed by wax. all by hand with a flannel rag. itll shine like theres no tomorrow....oil will work if you want it rusty with a shine(and a ton of dirt first windy day or if you go on an unpaved path :lol: )
if you do decide to go the compound/glaze/wax route i can give you a heads up on what to use and how
nice score btw(and for simpleman im assuming that was a guys bike that went for that price.........correct?)
ohhh yes what info you got for me ? i have some flannel lol

That is one sweet girls bike. I kinda like the way it looks now. I would probably clean it up a little, paint the wheels red and add a new set of whitewalls. But it will look good how ever you do it and it is your bike so you should do what you like.

HotRodJen said:
higgins said:
That year is not supposed to have jewels in the tank its to old.
its very similar to a ad from a 50's catolog i've seen , what year do you think it is? aslo anyone know of a data base for the serial number

I second the jewels comment, some of the models did not have jewels, though I honestly don't know what years. The port holes look right for this one though. I think 30thtbird (Kenny) posted a paragraph or two about his findings on how to decode Murray-made Sears bike serial numbers, a while back now. I have it saved on an old computer, just gotta find it. :mrgreen: :oops:

I was also told once that styles for the Higgins' changed so quickly often times that the bikes ordered would not match corresponding Sears catalogs. The bike would be comparable but with minor differences- this makes them a little harder to date sometimes (again, so I am told)

These really are awesome looking bikes, both as men's and women's. It's just so classic. :wink:

Back