Finally done!! 1951 goodyear hiway patrol

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this bike from Nick last year as he had too many projects, and I had a vision for it, really wanted to see it done. Well today is the day!

Was lucky enough to find a bunch of NOS stuff for it, and some very talented painters, and I myself spent 8 hours cutting and applying the many stencils onto the base white coat (because I'm an artist and very picky)- but whew- don't want to do that again!

Got the tank back from having it lettered yesterday, and began the tedious and stressful (to me) process of putting it back together. Wrong screw, stripped bolt, forgot to clean this & shine that... where did I put that??? you know how it goes. And still needs some tweaking and adjusting- both kickstands I had for it are shot! I gave up about 11:30 pm after cleaning more parts, putting the braces on correctly (all different sizes!!) and the springer put back together.

...Unbeknownst to me, Nick worked thru the night on it. He woke me up at 3AM and said he had to show me something...I was so freakin tired I thought it was northern lights.

WOW! And there it was, all put together, all shined up, even with my fav song playing on iTunes! What a presentation!!!
Thanks Nick!! (I think he wants it back)

*A shout out to those who helped on this one-

Jeff/Rear facing Drop Out- That dude is seriously talented with rolling fenders! They were trashed!
Tim Thompson- Awesome painter (and springer-putter-together when the owner has forgotten how it goes!)
Ken/Mr Columbia
Janice/TheGarageSaleQueen, for all the NOS parts (her boyfriend used to work at Columbia back in the day)
Lenny at Krazy Kolors for the fab lettering.

It was raining this morning when I took the pics, but do plan to have some nicer ones taken when everything is complete, in front of an old red brick police station.
Also have a NOS Peson siren yet to go on.

I am really pleased with how it looks. Just Like I Pictured
Now I really hope I can ride it- I''m only 5'3", and this is a tall frame! (and VERY heavy!!)

Thx!
Darcie

attachment-6-1.jpg

attachment-9.jpg

attachment-8.jpg

attachment-7-1.jpg

attachment-10.jpg

attachment-11.jpg

Beautiful...but I'm picky too....get that acorn nut on the springer re-chromed :mrgreen:

NewOrleansFlyer said:
Beautiful...but I'm anal too....get that acorn nut on the springer re-chromed :mrgreen:

I was thinking the same thing! Beautiful bike none the less! How many hours of work do you figure youve got in to it?

NewOrleansFlyer said:
Beautiful...but I'm anal too....get that acorn nut on the springer re-chromed :mrgreen:

I know!! It looks terrible. it will be addressed shortly! As well as a few other pieces on the springer and crank. :)

Very nice! I have a girls model.I think it is a '55.Needs a lot of work.Did all Hi-way Patrols have a tank?I knw it had a headlight at one time.

Bama Bill said:
Very nice! I have a girls model.I think it is a '55.Needs a lot of work.Did all Hi-way Patrols have a tank?I knw it had a headlight at one time.

The few that I have seen (there aren't that many around) have had tanks, at one time anyway. My tank is identical to a Columbia 3 Star (no chrome or horn), but I don't know if all years are interchangeable. Mine did not have a rack, and I like it that way, looks more motorcycle-ish, with that big round rear fender showing.

Working on final details- added the Person's Majestic siren, which worked at first but now...it's tricky on a springer so we'll see...and the police license plate. Cleaned up that acorn nut!! with paint for now, won't bother with any more chroming till winter, as there a few parts that need it (including the siren's chain).

Rode it in the Tour de Fat bicycle parade Saturday, what a fun wacky event that was!! Be sure to check it out if it comes to your area, it's a bicycle circus-like event, and people drees up like Halloween for the parade, we rode 12 miles or so thru dwtn Mpls with all the streets blocked off.

Back