FINALLY Found a Stingray!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its been on my bicycle bucket list to "find" a stingray. Anybody can get online and buy one that someone else has found, but I really had faith that I could find my own one of these years. Finally found one!! Serial number LL on the head tube tells me it was built in November of 1975. Spotted this thing from a mile away at a flea market and I b-lined straight for it! A little haggling and $50 later, I pedaled away on a dream finally come true. This one will be in my collection for the rest of my life.

It has the remnants of a shifter on the handlebars, telling me is was originally a 3 speed model. Wheels and tires have been changed out for something modern, coaster brake is tie-wired to the frame. Seat is in good shape, aside from starting to get kind of sticky from age (any remedies?). Original hand brakes still functional. All in all, I am super excited to build this bike. Since its not original or in pristine condition, I am going to go a little crazy on the build and paint....I feel like a kid at Christmas!!

Nice find I have a barn fresh 68 3spd stick shift I have been witing to finish my shop to start on it. Will wait to see your finished product.

Great score at a good price.

75 all bikes would have been thumb shift ... that's a 5 speed mag chainring, so pretty certain this was a 5 speed originally.

congrats, now get building :D 8)

Green Dragon said:

75 all bikes would have been thumb shift ... that's a 5 speed mag chainring, so pretty certain this was a 5 speed originally.

Thanks for the info here!!

supergoob said:
Green Dragon said:

Thanks for the info here!!

I have the proper thumb shifter for that bike if you are interested let me know.

Back