Find bike boxes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I used to buy a lot of bikes and parts that required shipping. Hence, I usually had boxes when it came time to ship one out. Now I'm on a very tight budget, so no buying, and may need to do some selling. I've been trying to find a bike box for a while now. I would prefer free , but I've offered money for them as well. So far, Walmart will not give or sell me one. Neither will K-mart. Roses had some bikes but the boxes were already long gone and they rarely sell a bike (is what I was told). Local shops wouldn't give or sell one. How does everyone on here find or procure these boxes? They can't really be this hard to get. I tried dumpsters behind two shops, but they were padlocked. If you are placing it in the trash, then it isn't valuable enough to protect with lock and key, in my opinion. Anybody got any insider secrets? Pro tips?

how weird, we give used bike boxes to anyone who asks.

i don't know what to say. :confused:

When I haven't found any behind the local bike shops, I typically go inside and they almost always will have one available or within a day or two will set one aside for me. Recently one of the bike shops tried to sell on to me, but when I told them that I could go to one of 4 other bike shops and get one free, they caved in and gave a slightly beat up one for free.
Another option is to go to an appliance store and get leftover fridge boxes and build your own box.
Good luck.

Next door to me is a Bicycle Warehouse Dealer and there always throwing away boxes for bikes, wheel sets and even hellmets.. Don't even have to ask, just grab them.. Good luck on your search for boxes..

Same here, the shops always gave them to me, even let me know when they got new stock in so I could take as many as I wanted.

I went to the REI to get a bike box once, mostly b/c it was late, and all the real bike shops closed. The kid working told me that, technically, they couldn't give me any, but that they put them in the dumpster and the dumpster is right out back, so.... I took that as him telling me that he couldn't offer'm, but go ahead and take them anyway. I decided to just wait til the AM and get one at the bike shop.

I think that WallyWorld, REI, KMart, and all the other big corporate chains act stank about it due to the usual liability/greed/stupidity issues that go along with those kind of large-scale operations. The mom-n-pop shops usually give'm out for free, and I usually offer a $5 for one anyway. The classier spots tend to refuse the $5, though...

Walmart employee said that they can't sell them because they don't have an item number in their system. Otherwise they would have to inventory them and keep track of the profits. Still doesn't explain why I can't just have one. But I see the point about greed. Certain people might show up to constantly get the boxes, putting others out, or even selling them later.

Whatever. Any place i ever worked, once we put it in the dumpster, or if it was something that we knew was dumpster-bound anyway, we'd be happy to give it to someone who could use it, rather than the recycler or a landfill. And let's face it: we're talking about ppl who work at Walmart, where instructions on how to apply for food stamps are part of New Staff Orientation. They ought to take $5 for the box and put it in their pocket.

I'd be fine with that, if they wanted to make a buck for themselves. Unfortunately, in my town, Walmart is one of the better paying gigs. And due to new health insurance "changes", Walmart now has one of the better insurance plans for their employees. If the factory I work in closes up shop, I'll likely be at Walmart next. Maybe if I'm an employee they will give me a bike box.:21:

I'd be fine with that, if they wanted to make a buck for themselves. Unfortunately, in my town, Walmart is one of the better paying gigs. And due to new health insurance "changes", Walmart now has one of the better insurance plans for their employees. If the factory I work in closes up shop, I'll likely be at Walmart next. Maybe if I'm an employee they will give me a bike box.:21:

Hey, I hear ya... I just don't think I'd be very loyal to an employer whose actual business model involves not paying the employees enough money to eat. That's beyond the pale. I'd absolutely work for WalMart if I had to, but I'm glad it hasn't come to that yet. If I did have to work there, I'd definitely be working up some scams and strategies for supplementing my income, including a black-market bike box ring....

Hey, I hear ya... I just don't think I'd be very loyal to an employer whose actual business model involves not paying the employees enough money to eat. That's beyond the pale. I'd absolutely work for WalMart if I had to, but I'm glad it hasn't come to that yet. If I did have to work there, I'd definitely be working up some scams and strategies for supplementing my income, including a black-market bike box ring....
Yeah, it sucks. But here they pay $9.00+ per hour and most other places pay minimum wage. But then again, a house in my town can be bought for less than the price of a new car. The house next door just went for $18K at 1900 sq, ft. and my friend just got 2500 sq. ft. for $15K. I even saw a decent 3-bdrm for $7k

Yup. LBS. Just go in and ask them and most of the time they are happy to give you boxes(that means they don't have to break them down for trash day).
Tried them all. Well, 2 of them that I have a good relationship. The 3rd doesn't approve of me hacking and welding 2-wheeled abominations and doesn't care to conversate with me

Yeah, it sucks. But here they pay $9.00+ per hour and most other places pay minimum wage. But then again, a house in my town can be bought for less than the price of a new car. The house next door just went for $18K at 1900 sq, ft. and my friend just got 2500 sq. ft. for $15K. I even saw a decent 3-bdrm for $7k
Dang, that's cheap.....

I'd say hit the Wallymart bicycle clerk with a fiver to leave one out back "next" to the dumpster... hit him up near closing though!

Dang, that's cheap.....
Yeah, but it hurts me a bit. My 2 bdrm 1000 sq ft was $27k when I bought it over 11 years ago, so now my resale value is in the dump. If I sold my house now I might get $11k. And I really want out of it because I found a 6 bdrm with a 3-car detached garage (aka bike shop/storage) , all in great shape with more land for $75k, and in an awesome neighborhood.

Latest posts

Back