FINISHED MY ROAD WEAPON TODAY

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
been wanting to build this frame for a while now

heres the run down
frame is a late 40s holland made in melbourne by elizibeth cycles, never built and original paint, never saw a bb set and was wrapped in paper, i scored big time
had to swap out the forks i i wanted to run a modern front brake, running streamline chrome foekes with the vintage loose ball headset of the era
new wheelset with the flip flop, kept it neat and simple
cranks, stem, and seat pole are early 80s road bike ones
vintage brooks saddle with a nice patina with matching tool bag in the same condition
bars and brakes are new
tape is sears screamer tape

heres my take on a classic home town bike

i ride this too and it takes some work to get going but then your on

tell me what you think im really happy with it

DSCN3769.jpg

DSCN3781.jpg

DSCN3783.jpg

and heres my everyday rider

1988 malvern star triathlette
i have never detailed this and is as i got it
the only non original bit is the tires but i do ride this
enjoy

DSCN3116.jpg

DSCN3115.jpg

got it last year off the original owner, he had ridden it twice but found it too small

im tiny and so are both my roadies

just a couple more

DSCN3777.jpg

DSCN3774.jpg

DSCN3779.jpg

DSCN3770.jpg

i know its not a rat rod but i did build it up from all sorts of domor parts

Very cool. For some reason the chainring looks huge. I'm a sucker for vintage road stuff. It needs some different pedals though and ditch those reflector rubber jobbers in place of some simple aluminum platforms with toe straps. Besides that little nitpick it's quite classy.

I think it has a lot of character and looks great. +1 on the pedals. Something all metal.

K-dregg said:
Thats some really nice bikes.. Looks like a pretty heavy gearing on the holland, 16-40 something right? Makes skids hard.. :D

52 16 i like to go real fast, takes a little to build up but then she humps along at a nice pace

It's really a classy looking build. I like the larger wheels and the bars. The larger front gear looks awesome. Some metal peddles might help a lot with it's performance.

Very cool. Nice color scheme and sweet pinstripes on the frame. I used bars with similar shape on my recent build.(Are you sure that paint is from the 40's??)

(Also, I had that same gear ratio on mine till I went freewheel, now 52 - 18. Its actually quite noticeable in cadence.)

it is og paint i got it from the frame builder he says 48 49

i also got a few others of him too

heres a 52 4star i built a while

and guys i have changed out the pedals for a gold alley set just gotta get brown straps for the clips now
DSCN3854.jpg

DSCN3855.jpg

DSCN3856.jpg

DSCN3860.jpg

and remember both had never been built hence the condition of the paint

ScurryMurray said:
Very cool. Nice color scheme and sweet pinstripes on the frame. I used bars with similar shape on my recent build.(Are you sure that paint is from the 40's??)

(Also, I had that same gear ratio on mine till I went freewheel, now 52 - 18. Its actually quite noticeable in cadence.)

it is og paint

its people like you that steered me away from bmx collecting

doubting thomas, i can only tell you what i know from being told from the frame builder hence why i have just stated late 40s

the news paper in wich it was wapt in was dec 49 so in that ball park

i was first to un wrap it since it had been built, he had even forgotten what color it was

you should see some of the stuff he had

his memory is fading a little but i take his word for it as he built frames for over 70 years and before then his dad did

Don't take my comment the wrong way. I meant its amazing they have maintained such great condition 60 years later. They are both good-looking bikes. Well done.

ScurryMurray said:
Don't take my comment the wrong way. I meant its amazing they have maintained such great condition 60 years later. They are both good-looking bikes. Well done.

none taken mate im just a smart ... some times

updated pics for you guys

i been riding her everyday and she is soo smooth

hope youlike the changes

pedals
removed rim stickers
replaced all the nuts and bolts on the brakes and new washers all round
quick detail and a couple pics

DSCN3935.jpg

DSCN3929.jpg

Back