Fire Hazards in the Workshop?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a question regarding combustables and fire hazards in my garage and wanted to get some opinions. We all probably work with a fair amount of paint thinners and other solvents to clean greasy parts but I recently bought a container of lacquer thinner, for no apparent reason, and quickly realized just how much more potent/toxic it is than the paint thinner I'm used to working with. It truly does need to be used in a much more ventilated area than what I've been used to with paint thinner and it evaporates very quickly too.

This realization caused me to start thinking about all the piles of rags I have in my garage. I know that rags that wood workers use with linseed oil on them can catch fire via some type of self combustion or whatever it's called but what about rags with paint thinner or lacquer thinner? I straightened up my work area last weekend and now have a big pile of rags where I used to have them strewn all over the place. Have I created a bigger fire hazard?

Yeah, it probably is dangerous. I know this shop foreman who would gather all the rags and lay them out in the driveway. He would then spray them all down with a hose and let them air dry before he sorted the one he can re-use and wash...or throw them away.

sounds like you need one of these, I highly recommend one!

B0mDfOCWkKGrHqZiEqhNZCoBMbfu2Ug_3.gif

i used to wrap/make kitchen doors with a vinyl front.
the overspray (glue) was removed from the back of the door with acetone and a rag.

in the course of the 3 years i worked at that job i watched thousands of rags burst into flames from friction alone (rubbing the back of the door with a rag)

only takes a little heat.
crazy but true.

I have to be extra careful because my shop is also set up for wood working. I always lay my rags outside to dry for a few hours after use.
I usually do not wash them preferring to throw them out when use to much since they usually are coated with other things such as glue and paint.

ouch!
Never thought of combustible shoprags...

Last month I was grinding a small steel washer when I noticed 'flickering lights' behind me. When I turned around I saw my freshly bought package of steel wool burning!!! I knew you could set fire to steelwool but I didn't think a few spark would do the trick...

Oily or greasy rags probably burn more shops than anything else...especially if they`re piled. The weight of the rags adds to the combustibility.

herr_rudolf said:
ouch!

Last month I was grinding a small steel washer when I noticed 'flickering lights' behind me. When I turned around I saw my freshly bought package of steel wool burning!!! I knew you could set fire to steelwool but I didn't think a few spark would do the trick...
Steel wool + 9 volt battery= old Boy Scout firestarting trick! :wink:

herr_rudolf said:
ouch!

old boy scout trick to get a fire started.. steel wool and a 2 D's or a nine volt battery and you have fire.

buddy's ol man is old school.
he paints in his shop over the winter heating only with a wood stove for heat and stores every
lick of paint, acetone, catalyst by the wood stove :shock: never mind the London fog of overspray
while the fire is roaring!! :shock:

one thing some people don't know about is most filler dust is flammable.
had a old cat body man told me about it because i like fire :mrgreen:
says pick up a handful and throw it at your lighter. :?
WOW was i surprised to see a 4 ft fireball..

You'd be surprised what's flammable! Anyone see the Mythbusters episode where they blew a cloud of powdered coffee creamer into the air and made a HUGE fireball? :shock: -Adam

Back