Firewing 1953 Columbia 3 Star DeLuxe (2nd) - 3/15 TRADED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/23 Good News and Bad News

yoothgeye said:
Your bad news isn't as bad as mine, haha

Yeah, my news ended up be more of an inconvenience, but yours is a feature. :p

LukeTheJoker said:
Looking sharp on that paint as always King, looking forward to seeing your decals done and on when the new paper arrives...

Luke.

Me too buddy! Now set up camp and finish building!!!

Gold Street Customs said:
Coming together real nice.

Thanks! I hope that I can pull off the upside down rams as well as you did!

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/25 Valve Cap + Shaving 8 Balls

Prepped more of the nuts and bolts and added to my build list. I couldn't find anything at Home Depot that would help me attach the door knob to the shifter. The threads on the shifter are barely long enough for the door knob set screw to get any grip. Then it hit me. VALVE CAP. So I tried a valve cap as a sleeve and it works perfect!

Then I was about to install the tank horn and remembered my 8 ball keychains.
Broke out the dremel and shaved the 8 off.
I think this is a cool subtle nod to RRBBO8.

I don't want to get carried away with the 8 balls, but I decided to shave another piece for the headlight.

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/25ValveCapShift+Shaving8Balls

8)

Looks real cool as a horn button , but FRIGGEN SICK in the headlight!

nice work buddy!

:mrgreen:

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/25 Valve Cap + Shaving 8 Balls

ChrisMac said:
LOVE the 8 ball tank button ! ! !

LukeTheJoker said:
Love your work King! I knew those 8 balls would end up somewhere! Luke.

junknutz1975 said:
8) Looks real cool as a horn button , but FRIGGEN SICK in the headlight! nice work buddy! :mrgreen:

I think I like the horn button best. It's one of those things as you look at the bike you wouldn't notice, then :shock: .

Neat details with the 8-balls, but "Shaving8Balls" just doesn't sound right... :wink:

The 8-ball in the headlight gives it a weird eyeball look. Is the mythical Firewing a Cyclops-type creature?

tvc15 said:
All your details and refinements are really coming together, this is a great build!

Thanks man! This is the fun part.

expjawa said:
Neat details with the 8-balls, but "Shaving8Balls" just doesn't sound right... :wink:

The funny thing is, you looked anyway. :p

kingfish254 said:
expjawa said:

The funny thing is, you looked anyway. :p

Had to. Do you know how fast I'd fall behind if i stopped checking your thread for a few days? :mrgreen:

The quality of this Testors decal paper is much better than the earlier paper. These are going to look sharp on Firewing!

WP_002499_zps20ce5ae4.jpg

Re: FireWing 53 Columbia 3 Star-7/26 Fogged Lens

Went out to the shop tonight and realized that I forgot how super glue creates a cloudy gas that will fog up glass and plastic. :x
I haven't tried googling if there is a way to buff this out, but I decided to spary some WD40 in there. I fixed it a little bit. We'll see what happens after it dries. UGH!

WP_002502_zps3b5971eb.jpg

WP_002504_zps1b4c86e2.jpg

That isn't too bad, probably could be worse. At least it's on the bottom of the lens (it is, right?). Maybe it would have been better to use a dab of clear caulk to hold it...

There is a big glob of glue at the bottom of the ball, but the fogging is all over. From what I have read the oil is only a short term solution. Eventually the oil will dry and the lense will be foggy again. For the part that isn't covered by the 8 ball, I can actually buff it out with polishing compound, but who knows how the part behind the 8 ball will turn out when the oil dries.

Back