Firmstrong Rebel Cruiser and Chief

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys...

Has anyone seen or perhaps ridden this bike? I know it is a cheap Chinese knock-off...but I am only using it for a starting point. It appears (from the pictures) to have the same geometry as the Electra Straight 8. I have ridden the Electra...and loved the feel of it....but my wallet cound not match my heart! I am 6'-3...and bought the 29" Genesis Onyx from Wal-Mart this weekend...and have been test riding it. I love the big feel of it...but it is killing my knees. I want something a little more crank forward.

I have also been looking at the Firmstrong Chief...and see that some of you guys use these as your daily rides. I see that you can get it with the Shimano Nexus Internal Hub 3 speed...which I think it great!! (Plus...alot easier to find parts and such for a 26" bike versus the 29"!!!!).

Anyway...thoughts or opinions on the Rebel? (or Chief for that matter)

Thanks again.

Jerry (Upstate NY)

Ok my friend. I have a Firmstrong Chief as well as a few Electras. I first want to say I definately "feel" a small difference in the ride as far as the frame. The Firmstrong is stiffer ?? Probably because its a cheaper, slightly heavier metal. So with that said I love my Firmstrong. I bought mine w/o the 3 speed and later added one from a Nexus donor. I am 6ft 8 inches tall and it fits me great. I have more room on it versus the Electra Cruiser. If the Firmstrong still vomes with the adjustable neck, you will have to change that. Otherwise its a great starter bike. Search my post for Deebo.. (i'd link but I am on my fone) I hope that helped. Any questions feel free to ask.

Hey guys...

Thanks for the advice. Yeah...I knew that the steel frame would give a different ride than the aluminum....but I don't know if I ride enough to notice a difference.

I would love to ride the other Electra bikes...but the nearest dealer only carries a few....as they are primarly a road bike / triatholon place. They just happened to have a Straight 8 in not too long ago...and I almost went for it....but it did not stick around too long.

Yeah...I would think if you are comfy on the Chief at 6'-8"....then at 6'-3"...I should be plenty fine.

I will check out your posts on your bike!

Thanks again guys!

My brother bought a chief and I rode it. It was the bike that got me in all this silliness to begin with. I have built a bunch and done lots of custom scratch built frames , but his chief was still one of the best riding bikes I have been on. For the price , I think its hard to beat.

Back