First Automatic Rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out for a ride yesterday on this bike and the Bendix 2 speed "kickback" started to squeak.
DSCF6658.JPG

I decided to tear it apart and re-grease it when I got back. This was my first time taking apart a Bendix Automatic. Everything looked to be in really good shape including the grease except for one set of bearings. I cleaned, greased and reassembled everything. It went a lot better than I expected. With the wheel back on the bike and the bike on the repair stand it seemed to be working ok.
DSCF6689.JPG

Tonight I rode it and it works like a champ. The squeak is gone and the growling noise that all my kickback's make is a lot quieter. All our bikes at the rack at the park tonight
IMG_2395.JPG

clamdigger said:
Good for you Joe! Was it the smallest set of bearings behind the adjusting cone that requires the special tool that needed attention?

Now I can't remember for sure. I think it was the bearings on the far opposite end from that (brake arm side). Had hardly any grease left especially compared to the rest of the hub.

Latest posts

Back