First Automatic Rebuild

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out for a ride yesterday on this bike and the Bendix 2 speed "kickback" started to squeak.
DSCF6658.JPG

I decided to tear it apart and re-grease it when I got back. This was my first time taking apart a Bendix Automatic. Everything looked to be in really good shape including the grease except for one set of bearings. I cleaned, greased and reassembled everything. It went a lot better than I expected. With the wheel back on the bike and the bike on the repair stand it seemed to be working ok.
DSCF6689.JPG

Tonight I rode it and it works like a champ. The squeak is gone and the growling noise that all my kickback's make is a lot quieter. All our bikes at the rack at the park tonight
IMG_2395.JPG

clamdigger said:
Good for you Joe! Was it the smallest set of bearings behind the adjusting cone that requires the special tool that needed attention?

Now I can't remember for sure. I think it was the bearings on the far opposite end from that (brake arm side). Had hardly any grease left especially compared to the rest of the hub.

Back