First bike/bike project!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked it up yesterday locally, found it on an CL ad about 10 minutes away, so I was able to pick it up in my work truck.

Not sure on the year, but its an old(er) Schwinn frame, Schwinn front fork and front wheel, Schwinn sprocket, think the stem is also Schwinn, but everything else isn't. It has a really small ding in the left side tube (the left side of the two tubes that connect to the top tube?), anything floating around on how best to repair it? I didn't notice it when I bought it, and tried to show my buddy how to ride a bike with it that afternoon, not sure if he bent it or what, but I want to fix it. Everything else is cheapo stuff, and a new banana seat which I don't like. Pedals are mega junk anodized things and he put 7 inch cranks on, so it scrapes if I turn to sharp.

Also, the seat post is fairly loose and tends to drop the front of the banana seat down after a while when riding it, I've tightened the seat collar down as tight as I can and it still shifts position, so I assume it's just a bit too small and he threw it on to help his sell. Also, the baby apes rotate in the stem, so I guess I could shim it. With bigger apes on it later is it best to locate a replacement? Bike isn't meant for me so I want to make sure it's solid.. anyway, been riding it around since I bought it, don't know a thing about taking parts off or putting them on but nervously looking forward to the experience!

Let me know what you think, please! Is that original paint or just old and patina'd?

-James
photo.jpg

Hey nice project......Yeah I think the bannana seat has to go......Doesnt flow right with the bike......But thats whats fun about buying old used bikes.....Its a chance to make it your own......

Took the banana seat off last night and put on a junker no-name sprung saddle. Rides a lot better and way more comfortable! Also got the loose handlebar problem fixed. Anybody want to throw their piece in about the paint? Figure it's not original with the scallops, but I'm without basis for it. Anyway, here's an updated pic.
photo-1.jpg

Is it wrong to swap the forks out for springers? The stocks are in great shape, straight as an arrow..

Very cool bike. I love the red and blck paint me personally I liked it with the banana seat.

Thanks! I like the paint too. Cleaned up pretty nice, more shiny in person, iPhone cam doesn't pick it up too well. The banana seat fits in a way, but so uncomfortable to sit on and not my style, not for this bike anyway. Thanks again!

Nice find. The frame is most likely a mid 90's frames made in Taiwan when they did some reproductions with the blade forks. The welds at the head tube don't look like a Chicago made frame.

Great base to start from and I really like that paint.

I would have to agree it's not very old, still a decent ride. As far as the springer is concerned, I myself would leave the stocker, it's more precise, but springers look nice, and do absorb road shock, it really is a rider's preference thing. That bike could have just as easily been outfitted with one from the dealer when first purchased. 8)

Guess I get what I deserve then, shouldve researched before buying. That's a bummer. Thanks guys, as far as the seat goes I'm going to hold onto it for now but will probably get rid of it sooner or later.

I knew it was a mix, and since I didn't know better than the guy who put it up for sale, it's a mutt bike from now on. Just hope the frame isn't a cheap piece. Dishonesty and greed win again..!?

I looked at the numbers wrong and according to bunch of bikes the numbers you gave me its a sept.54 if i'm reading it right. Tony

No price on fun. This bike is significant regardless, but I love old iron. Hate how classic Americana is pimped around the globe is all. Thanks guys.

Back