First build, my stretch

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my first crack at building a bike. Took a cheap chinese frame and started to have fun. Found another no name frame and used that for fill in parts. I seen a stretch on here that I liked and made my version of it. Still a work in progress, frame is almost done. Going to cut the top tube out and extend it a few inches. Move the seat post back while I am moving the top tube.

Thanks!

The frame is almost done. I already made some new dropouts for it and didnt like it. Rasied the bike to high so some new dropouts are in order again. I want this bike on the ground but its not turning out that way. Next bike I guess! Its a learning process I guess.

A little more progress on the bike last night.

I think I am going to leave the center post out. The bike feels sturdy enough without it.

I mocked everything up and took it for a spin. Didn't get the chain on yet but rolling it down the road my steering is not right. With the forks extend out like that and the amount of caster in the head tube the bike wants to pivot and turn up in the center. Is this normal for this type of front end with the wheel so far out in front of the head tube? Do I need to change the amount of caster in the head tube to fix the problem? It rolls nice and straight but when I go to turn I am all over the place. It feels like to turn right I have to lean out to the left. Before I start cutting the head tube any help would be appreciated.

Looks like I do have wheel flop. Thanks patman, Didn't know what it was called. Searching around looks like I can change the head tube caster or do something with the forks. I'm leaning towards the caster. I like how the forks are sitting right now. Before I change it i'll throw the chain on and take it for a spin.

Looks like I do have wheel flop. Thanks patman, Didn't know what it was called. Searching around looks like I can change the head tube caster or do something with the forks. I'm leaning towards the caster. I like how the forks are sitting right now. Before I change it i'll throw the chain on and take it for a spin.
you are welcome dude !

Looks very cool!

Wheel flop is when the front wheel wants to flop to the side even when the bike is perfectly upright, you appear to have the opposite problem where turning the wheel lifts the frame. It is pretty normal for a bent springer fork, or any fork with the axle centre line so far in front of the headtube plane, you just have to get used to it... ;)

Luke.

That flows nicely. The seat helps with the transition from front to back.
Interesting riding position, is it comfortable?

The riding position is not bad, just a little cramped in the leg department. My next lowrider stretch will be stretched way out to make the leg situation more comfortable.

Luke, That was the problem I was having with the bent springer. The frame was lifting out bad. The new fork design helped that a lot. The bike is not as twitchy now vs having the springer on it. I would now assume that wheel flop is when the head tube has an extreme rake to it causing the wheel to fold over.

Now its off to building my next bike which is going to be a tall bike. Nothing like the extreme opposites!

Back