First Build, Slammed Chop

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some pics of my first build. I have had this idea in my head for years but never had the right
situation to do it. It's still under construction but moving along fairly quickly. Still has use of
all gears. I just got the brakes working front and rear and I'm working on the cable for the
rear derailleur. The rear brake control and derailleur control (not pictured) are/will be
mounted on the jocky style lever on the top tube. It's already been out on it's first test ride
and everything seems to be good. Still quite a bit more to do though.

PICT1229.jpg

PICT1239.jpg

PICT1240.jpg

PICT1243.jpg

PICT1252.jpg

PICT1281.jpg

PICT1291.jpg

PICT1299.jpg

PICT1283.jpg

PICT1304.jpg

PICT1308.jpg

PICT1305.jpg

PICT1303.jpg

oh great, a Burrito bike. me like em Burritos. nice job so far. looks like ya brazed those handlebars or are they welded. keep us posted.

Outlaw 8)

Thanks. All the joints were MIG welded first and then I go back with the gas welder and add brass for looks, as this bike will not get paint.

aw, ok. that works for me. keep up the good work. think this will be awsome when it's done.

Outlaw 8)

Got handle bar fab done today, rear derailluer cable routed, new cable housing cut and installed
along with jocky shift gear control. I took it out for a quick ride tonight to check everything out. It
all worked flawlessly and man it rocks to have gears!!! I am so glad I kept the gears!
PICT1322.jpg

PICT1321.jpg

PICT1323.jpg

Since last post, I started sheetmetal fabrication for center panel. Originally, I was setting
up to do 1- 3/8 " hole saw cuts throughout the piece but, my new drill arbor was too big for
my drill to chuck. So, necessity is the mother of invention, again. I did a border of smaller
holes and ran screws with flat washers and lock washers all the way around, 1 inch in from
the edge on all sides with 1-1/2 inch center to center spacing. It's a look I have always liked
also & better than the original idea. The center of the panel is marked off with the outline
for stainless steel inserts that will go on last, so I know where they will be. I was going to fab
front and rear fenders for this bike, but, after much thoguht decided against it.
PICT1328.jpg

PICT1327.jpg

Cleaning out holes before chamfering.

PICT1333.jpg

PICT1335.jpg

I go through antique and specialty stores all the time. I actually do more work on custom
art and other things more than bikes. When I see something interesting, I grab it even
if I'm going to cut it up and use it for something else altogether. Found this 90 degree
bracket with star already rust patinated. I first thought I'd cut out the star and only use
that, but then quickly found a way to use it as a 90 degree frame gusset. It's double
cool, because it adds style and character and makes the frame stiffer and stronger.
Especially because it's cast iron. Also why it's brazed in. However, all finish welding
on this bike is still to come.

PICT1337.jpg

PICT1340.jpg

PICT1338.jpg

I am a thinkin that this BURRITO is gonna be the sicest one ever built. that is so tight. great job. ya have some maddd skills. carry on.lol. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Outlaw 8)

More finish welding and brazing today. I wanted to get all fab work done so I could get
on with metal finishing and what little paint this bike is going to get, which will basically
be accent pieces only.

PICT1343.jpg

PICT1345.jpg

PICT1346.jpg

Steel tabs welded in for sheet metal mounting.
PICT1347.jpg

After marking and drilling frame tabs and center sheet metal piece I fabricated over
a week ago.
PICT1348.jpg

PICT1349.jpg

PICT1350.jpg

PICT1351.jpg

PICT1352.jpg

PICT1353.jpg

PICT1354.jpg

that is sooo BA. BADD TO THE BONE. righton, very tight. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Outlaw 8)

To The Finish!

Well it certainly took some doing, but it's done! My personal opinion, this bike is an
absolute slice of Americana old school chop and build hot rodding style. Right from
the get go, I wanted to be able to seriously fly on this bike. I like riding fast so I kept
the weight down, kept center of gravity in mind, and kept all the gears! My roots are
in racing where functionality comes before style. It's gotta look bad to the bone, but
it's gotta ride good and fast first. I wouldn't want to get in a wreck on this bike, but I
have already ridden it fast and it handles good. Future plans include a hand built front
end and a 26 x 4" rear wheel with a jack shaft drive to still maintain all gears. But,
for now, it's done and I am more than pleased with the finished product.
PICT1370.jpg

PICT1371.jpg

PICT1372.jpg

PICT1373.jpg

PICT1374.jpg

PICT1375.jpg

PICT1381.jpg

PICT1382.jpg

PICT1383.jpg

PICT1384.jpg

PICT1385.jpg

PICT1386.jpg

PICT1387.jpg

PICT1388.jpg

PICT1389.jpg

PICT1390.jpg

PICT1391.jpg

PICT1392.jpg

PICT1393.jpg

PICT1394.jpg

PICT1395.jpg

PICT1396.jpg

very nice job. yep a fat tire will be kool and a handbuilt front end. now go ride it.

Outlaw 8)

I have since put a lot of miles on this build. It's turned out to be one of my best handlers
even with a lot of rake. Since last posting, I added white walls, replaced the dice
on the suicide shift with a skull, added a water bottle holder for those long hot Texas
rides, added chrome accent pieces and lights. It's for sale now, but, if it doesn't sell, I'll
just continue to enjoy cruising it.
PICT1691.jpg

PICT1703.jpg

PICT1707.jpg

Thanks. The lines of a bike are the make or break for me. I don't care if it has the ultimate paint job, ten tons of chrome or what era or class you want to put any bike in, if the lines are not there forget it. I spend hours in fabrication sitting there just looking at the frame as it comes together and have re-cut and re-done whole sections of frames to get the whole stance of a bike right. It's something that I think gets too little attention in the bike building process compared to component and accessory choices.

Nice work!!!!

Back