first full bike re-paint....any help is good help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so here is the bike in doing,its a real old hawthorn bike.
I took everything apart today and started to sand,,,that went on for a few min then I went up and got some of the airplane spray paint stripper and man all i can say is don't get it on your hands.
I got all the paint off but there are a few dark spots,but not rust there are a few little spots of rust but ill sand it down,
Im going to paint the hole bike ivory with dark green accents.anyone think they are a good color..or if you had it to paint what color's would you paint it?
so here are my questions?
do I have to have the hole frame to shiny metal?or as good as I can?
whats the best order for painting? primer good and let it sit for a few days then shoot the color ivory and before it gets dry mask of and do the green bits?OR do I wait for the ivory to set and go hard mask it off and do the green?
I found a primer that kills rust but i wanna use all the same kind of paint.
then a good clear coat.
\clear coating do i do just one good coat or a few thin coats?
I am also looking for a light cover that goes over the front of the tank I have one but its covered in tar..Ill post a pic.
wowtank2.jpg

and this is the one im doing at the same time but this one is going to be a full restore....I like to paint two bikes at a time.I get more done this way...this one is a 59 Monark gold and white..in the pic where you see silver was at one time gold,the name on the chain guard is gold coaster.
wowtank.jpg

hmm well i would just sand it down all the way to the metal then primer it.
Let it sit for a few days then sand with 600 grit
then lay the white and wait a few days
wet sand it with 1200 or higher
tape the parts that don't need to be green
Lay the green down.
I would remove the tape right away so it wont dry with the paint and end up having some peeling.
water sand the green
clear coat

Looks like you already figured out the paint stripper thing. And wet sanding. The other things I can say are keep everything super duper McClean Clean, and make sure the edges of your masking is stuck down. I lay it all down, get a coffee, come back, then double check that it is still sealed everywhere. The first time I did a two tone color scheme, the top color bleed through the masking in a few spots because of little ity bity air bubble near the edge of the masking. Loads of fun stripping it down and painting all over again. If you are really going for gold (pardon the pun) lay down many coats of color between sanding.

@ Chimichanga: How do you wet sand the second color without cutting through the edge?

I have just done a my first bike, and its two tone (all will be revelied soon) here are my tips though,

I was instucted by the paint shop that as i had taken the frame down to bear metal to use something called Etch Primer this is a layer that goes on first to the bear metal before the primer, this does not need sanding down i did this over the whole bike, should only need about 30 - 60 min drying time, depending on weather conditions. I then layed down a coat of normal primer, again 30 - 60 min drying time, lighting sanded that back with wet paper. repeated the process one more time. So now the bike has etch primer, primer, primer, i left that over night to dry completely. i then masked off the parts i wanted to be colour 2 and sprayed on colour 1. The trick with masking tape is get some really really good quality masking tape, the cheap stuff can be too sticky this is when you can peel off paint and primer.

Layed down one coat of colour 1 30 - 60 min drying time, lightly snaded it back so it was smooth, and did another coat, i left this over night to dry completly

I removed the masking tape the next day all was well no peeling, i masked off the colour 1 area this time where i could i wrapped in news paper so the masking tape was not directly stuck to the paint, however you may not be able to do this everywhere, like along the edge of colour 1... i had to lay down 3 colats of the colour 2 to get the coverage as it was a light colour compaired to colour 1 and the primer showed through. repeting the same patten as colour 1 sanding between coats.

i left that over night so it was total dry and in the morning removed the masking and newspaper! result it work! i had alwasy planed on sticking a line where the two colours met so butted up the two colours had i not planed this i would have slightly over lapped colour 2 over colour 1 to get a true line,

Where i had some over spray i got a small paint brush sprayed the can into the lid and painted the over spray away. i then layed two coats of clear down again sanding lightly between coats one and two.

Joel

Back