First Ride in 50+ years: 2023 Update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: First Ride in 50+ years: Cabin Fever

I don't want to miss an "episode". :D

Re: First Ride in 50+ years: Ice Cream and Catfish

Thanks Kingfish! Nice way of putting it :lol: And one of my favorite Grateful Dead tunes :D
You're so right Luke, I think riding gets his mind of all the things he worries about, though he always is a bit cheeky

Glad to have you along with Youthgeye, thanks!
Thanks Jerry, I'll almost forgot to post today, oops

So I stuck with the easy meal choice and headed to Wendy's again
First time I had a shake and it didn't help wash down the burger too well (though FIL had no problem :lol: )
Last time I got pop and I was later Jonesing for ice cream, this time I got a Root Beer Float, ahh, just right
FIL got a Strawberry shake and single cheeseburger and me a double, ketchup and mustard only for both
I'm learning FIL's statement , "that's a lot of food" is just one of his standard lines, no matter how hungry he is
I laid out the fries for both of us and he can't help not eating them :lol:
IMG_9443.jpg

We went looking for the new location of a favorite LBS but just couldn't find it (maybe next week)
FiL didn't get impatient and he was up for a visit to another one: Angry Catfish Bicycle and Coffee Bar
http://angrycatfishbicycle.com/
It's a pretty cool place and I put up a set of used Velo-Orange Belleville bars for $8 at there booth at a Swap meet recently
They had some pretty cool bikes and FIL was up for posing with them this week
IMG_9445.jpg

The shop is a little higher end but I saw some interesting new twin top tube Civia bikes
http://civiacycles.com/bikes/twin_city_ ... gle_speed/
Plus a cycle truck and some Surleys
IMG_9450.jpg

They even had some rat rod bikes but from the prices on them, they didn't really want to sell them :lol:
Nice Bare-Metal 51 Schwinn
IMG_9447.jpg

FIL and me hung out and FIL found a super comfy chair to chill a bit
I showed him some of the tall bikes in the Bone-Shaker magazines that they had in the lounge area
He got a good laugh :D I've never seen the magazine before and it is very cool
They have an article about a bicycle "Wall Of Death, Wheels of Life" in the #11 issue

So as we headed home, FIL saw the DQ and asked if it was open
I said yes and maybe we'd stop there next time. He says "Oh, next time?"
Sorry FIL, the puppy-dog eyes won't get you 2 ice creams in one afternoon :lol:

We both had an interesting time
Thanks for looking
Steve

Looks like you had a great time, and he was in a pretty good mood!
BUT!!! You must be a hard man if puppy dog eyes dont work on you! :mrgreen:

Luke.

You heartless man! FIL needs his treats!

For the record, the "shake" at Wendy's is called a Frosty... get it right!

Happy Anniversary. I think FIL likes to ride like the rest of us because it brings back our youth. I love reading your posts and only hope my children take me out for bike rides later in life. Your pics will be cherished by you and your wife in the years to come. Ed

Re: First Ride in 50+ years: My Mother In Law has passed on

Last Monday night, my Mother In Law peacefully passed away after suffering from Alzheimers for over 10 years
She is in a better place now.

My Father-In-Law (FIL) is sad and trying to fully grasp what has happened
He wrote himself a post it note that has a photo of my her and says "Your Wife has gone to Heaven"
He needs a lot of reassurance and we are trying to help him with it
My wife, her family, and me are sad but we take comfort that she is no longer suffering

Here is my Father In Law and Mother In Law in happier times
IMG_0068II.jpg

Thanks for your support with this post.
It'll may be a while before I post our last and next trips but they will continue for sure
Steve

Sorry to hear that, you and your family are in my prayers.

Sad to hear, my wife's father is in the beginning stage also. Tough to see someone regress from the brilliant person they once were. I enjoy reading your posts about your experiences with Phil. Hang in there, bless you both.

The post-it note made me teary. So sad. My sympathies. Thank you for sharing these most personal aspects of your lives.

Steve,
My condolences to your FIL, your wife and you. Loss is never easy, but as others have stated, her suffering is over. Stay strong the Mrs. and the FIL need that right now.

Know that you all are in my thoughts and prayers.

Cheers (respectfully) to your MIL,
Rob

Saying prayers for FIL, who will undoubtedly take it the worst.

thoughts and prayers comin at ya. my grandma is in the final stages of alzhiemers, and not doing real well. its tough to deal with. i keep telling myself she'll have her mind back when she gets to heaven.

Condolences, sympathy, and prayers to FIL, you, your wife and her family. God Bless you all.

Steve, sorry for your family's loss. FIL is going to need you more than ever now. Good that it's getting back to riding season again (not that you completely stopped in winter).

Sorry for your family's loss.....Keep on peddl'n

Back