First Time Paint Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on participating in this years build off contest. The rules say the paint needs to be applied by the builder. I have an old rusty frame here that I need to strip the paint off to bare metal. Are the chemical treatment the best way to get this process going or maybe a wire wheel and sand paper? I need some input on prices and time and other recommendations anyone has. I have been a member of this forum for about a year now, really looking forward to RRBBO5. I usually associate the "ratbike" as being painted with a rattle or spray paint. So that is the route I am planning higher quality spray paints. Also what kind of paint is used for pin striping and hand painting a chain guard?

Thanks for any input.
Drew

Like I say, send that sucker to the sandblasters. They'll get it real nice and bare for ya, perfect place to start, as far as pinstripping, "One Shot" paints, not sure what else is out there, Karfer should know.

scotch pad on a grinder or drill will get it bare for cheap.

rattle can paint, one word; RUSTOLEUM.

pinstriping; one shot is the best. a can will be more than youll ever need for just one bike, but sometimes its not readily available. testors model paints work really well in a pinch. be sure to have a good pinstriping brush, or at least a long bristled lettering brush. mix in a little thinner to help it flow, and line it out.

try practicing on a similar surface with all your paint, an old fender or any kind of metal really. go through all your steps, and see how that goes before you hit the real deal.

and dont forget the primer. i use white, no matter what color... it even makes black look better.

Before starting to paint put your cans in a bucket of warm water and let them set for a few minutes, it lets the paint flow better. Also get one of the pistol grip spray handles.

i throw a wire brush on a angle grinder. (the type with the wires sticking out the sides, not the bottom)

the good- 10 min's will strip that bike down to bare metal and remove all rust without removing metal (like sand or media blasting would do)

the bad-those wire wheels aren't made to spin that fast, so ya usually look like a porcupine when your finished. :)

I have to agree that sandblasting is the cleanest and easiest way to go. But if you really just want to DIY, a chemical stripper applied to the hard to reach areas is a good starting point. Follow up with a drill mounted Scotch Brite stripping wheel (Wal-Mart) and you will have it shiney and smooth in no time. If you have a lot of pitts and other imperfections in the frame, a high build primer sanded between coats can really smooth them out. You can find a high solids, high build, primer at an automotive paint store. It will cost a bit more, but when it comes to a nice paint job,prep is key to a nice end result. BTW you might want to P/U an OO striping brush while you are there for your pin striping needs. :wink:

Latest posts

Back