Fisch's 20inches of Awesome! 7/9 I'm a NY Times best seller!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Fisch's 20-inches of Awesome! Springer ASSEMBLED!-6/3

Thanks Jake!

So if you saw my post in the build-off discussion thread the other day, I was having a time deciding whether to paint or not. I don't take covering up mojo lightly, but the paint in this BO is inspirational!! Thankfully the bike made that decision for me this evening when I attacked it with steel wool and wet sanding and gunk.

Here is where we left off. It is a pretty crusty nugget, but I like that!
IMG_2391.jpg

Here is the mess I made this evening. I wanted to see if I could bring out the patina a bit more.
IMG_2428.jpg

Here is how it looked after making the mess!
IMG_2435.jpg

The details that popped out surprised me. No matter how many bikes I clean up, I am always surprised at the neat stuff that appears.

First the Stelber name on the seat tube! You couldn't even see it before! Some nice burgandy paint appeared too.
IMG_2430.jpg

The tanks... what? Really? They could get that bright? Wait, let me scroll up and look at that first pic again....
IMG_2440.jpg

Then this my friends is what sealed the deal to keep the mojo and Patina. This bike had Hot rod flames on it!!! Factory? Or some kid with a decal set for a monogram model? When I saw this, I just couldn't cover this bike up with pretty paint.
IMG_2431.jpg

So I am going to attempt to preserve it with this stuff. I am an illustrator and have many art supplies. This is a quick drying oil painting medium. I have no idea what it will do to the bike. I may go further by staining the texture with matching burgandy paint, and maybe even some oil painting varnish. Time will tell. I didn't use it on the top tube yet as I have plans for that bar that I don't want oil to interfere with.
IMG_2434.jpg

And a parting shot. Somehow this bike reminds me of a antique colt pistol with ivory grips.
IMG_2444.jpg

Re: Fisch's 20-inches of Awesome! Interesting Discovery 6/6

It's official. I want your bike. Love what you uncovered. It is oozing with cool.

p00r0ldlu said:
It's official. I want your bike. Love what you uncovered. It is oozing with cool.

+1
+2
+3

WICKED, DIRTY, but SEXY!!!!
Love it!!

Re: Fisch's 20-inches of Awesome! Springer ASSEMBLED!-6/3

Fisch said:
And a parting shot. Somehow this bike reminds me of a antique colt pistol with ivory grips.
IMG_2444.jpg

After my last post, I felt to guilty because it started a new page, so people may miss the photos.
Everyone needs to go back a page and see this cool rat!!!

Thanks guys! Appreciate the photobump King! Funny my last two big updates have been at the bottom of a page.

I am hoping to get some progress on the seat situation next. Starting Friday I will be teaching an illustration master class for a week. It is intensive workshop and there will be zero bike building :| but lots of visual inspiration!

Much ado!

kingfish254 said:
p00r0ldlu said:

+1
+2
+3

WICKED, DIRTY, but SEXY!!!!
Love it!!
+4
This things is uber cool. I love original paint when its preserved the way you've done it. I've always had to blast & paint my builds. I'd love to uncover some old coolness like you have!

In this case, I don't believe it is premature at all to have just decided where my first vote is going. 8)

Man, who would have thought, that all that coolness was hiding!

Have you figured out your crank/BB situation yet?

Keep buildin'

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr T- I know, right? Even my wife when she saw the flames was like, "You can't paint this." The plan for the BB right now is to epoxy in a english set. That rear wheel is tricky for chainline, the spindle for it over 140mm as I recall. That is LOOOOOOONG to find in a sealed setup. (Impossible.) So I am thinking of using the spindle and cups that came with the rear wheel to make life easier. But that problem is two down the list.

Rockit- Sweet! I will take that vote! A 20" has never won the competition. I don't know that I will stand a chance, but vote for the little guy! It'll be like David vs many Goliaths!!

Critter- I was shocked what was under there myself! Has me thinking I will need to check more bikes more carefully in the future.

Chrismac and Ruddigger- Thanks dudes!

That's cool! :D Love the patina :mrgreen:

I have a feeling all my votes are going to 20" bikes this year.

Peatbog said:
Mine are at least going to bikes I think people built to use and not just take apart after the build off.

Bingo!

Lots of people "disable" other ridable bikes to make their build-off bike work, kind of makes me wonder. :?

This bike is killer!! I'm working on a 20 incher called Riff Braf. I rode it tonight and. It was super fast. It also folds. 20 inchers unite!! Peace

Jake Sensi said:
This bike is killer!! I'm working on a 20 incher called Riff Braf. I rode it tonight and. It was super fast. It also folds. 20 inchers unite!! Peace

Nice! Thanks guys, looks like we are starting a 20" revolution! When I first got into RRB I was certainly more about 26" bikes, really because I thought 20" would be too small. Then I started getting muscle bike fever, and realized with the right proportions, a 20" is a pleasure to ride. Recently got hit with the bmx bug, and again found them to be light weight and so comfy to ride (with a layback post).

Now, in the stock configuration, this Stelber would be torture for a 6 foot guy like myself to ride, but with the right bars and seat hight, I am really hopeful it will be comfy as most bananas. The triangle distance between the grips, pedals and seat should be about what a bmx or banana are when I am done.

So glad you are not painting..when I bought my bike I had no idea it would look like it does after ridding of surface rust...
Very cool build...

Latest posts

Back