Fisher Price, my first bike build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... so here we go. My wife Penny got this one on craigslist for $60 and a haircut. If my calculations are correct it's a 78 stingray. I still havent been able to confirm if it was Chicago made. It's gonna end up as more of a lowrider, 'cause Penny likes to be flashy. :) It's in pretty good shape so we're just gonna paint and polish it and add some nifty parts.

Before...
S7300038.jpg

S7300037.jpg

S7300036.jpg

Progress is slow, but I sanded what i could get to and then tore it down to finish up the paint prep...

well... i was gonna post the pics but photobucket is bein wack!! i'll try it again tomorrow.

btw, the serial number is JP534405 in case anyone wants to double check the dating.

photobucket is working much better this morning. so here is the current status. i really need a work stand, my back kills after bendin over this thing for too long. :?

DSC00890.jpg

DSC00888.jpg

no foot shots here, sorry. :p

There is an unwritten "rule". NO FOOT SHOTS TIL YOUR SECOND BUILD! So your "good" for now. :lol: .......Can't wait to see what ya come up with for paint. 8)

KOTA said:
There is an unwritten "rule". NO FOOT SHOTS TIL YOUR SECOND BUILD! So your "good" for now. :lol: .......Can't wait to see what ya come up with for paint. 8)

haha. cool. what about shadow shots? check the second before shot, bottom left corner. :roll:

the paint will be interesting to say the least. It's Penny's ride so she's callin the shots on the design. it's gonna be a little wacky for sure.

haha. you won't ever catch me workin in sandals. my flip flops are reserved for pool side activities only. 8)

i had every intention of working on the bike today... but thanx to all my errands and chores, that didn't happen.

why can't i just get paid to design and work on bikes? :roll:

ok... that must be the first site i looked. then i couldnt remeber the name. thats when i started wondering if it was chicago made. the numbering system would suggest so but i thought i saw something about chinese made schwinns having an id stamped on head badge.

i really need a work stand, my back kills after bendin over this thing for too long.

If you catch the bug or what is referred to as B.A.D. (Bicycle Acquisition Disorder), then I highly recommend one. Not only can you swing the bike around and raise the part you're working on to eye level, instead of the other way around, but most of them have trays to hold parts and tools. I never lose a part or tool now, where I would always have something misplaced before. If you're only going to work on just one or two bikes, and you have a garage, you could make a poor man's bike stand by custom mounting brackets for the front and rear forks over a long and wide board, or a regular board and vice it to a table. Somebody on here has done that before. And then just put the seat tube on a well supported broom stick when working on the bottom of the bike and crank set.

yeah... i've been brainstorming. unfortunately i dont have a garage. stupid duplex. :x i've been doing most of the work in the driveway and all our bike are chained to the porch and covered with a tarp. it's a real pain in the butt.

the seat pot idea definatley crossed my mind. i just need to find a way to make it sturdy but portable.

thanx for the advice.

some real progress... it's about friggin time.

this is a real poorman's bike stand. stole Penny's manequin stand. worked perfectly... except for doing the top side. :?
DSC01056.jpg

DSC01054.jpg

got it primed. painting outside sucks. i ended up with foreign particles all over it. but it came out pretty good. im no stranger to aerosol... but this is my first time painting a bike.
DSC01055.jpg

these pics are after the first coat. i did another but it was too dark to photograph.

love the stand!(but you might not want the wife to see those pictures...and make sure you mask it before spraying :shock: )
D'OH!!! didnt read all the way through before typing :oops:

ArtGeco said:
Looks good so far Mr. Farrell.

p.s. That's my middle name, seriously.

thanx man. that's awesome. it actually is my last name, but everyone just calls me Farrell. :)
slacker said:
Mr. Farrell said:
im no stranger to aerosol... but this is my first time painting a bike.

For some reason I feel like inserting a huffing joke here. :roll:

Nice find, man. Are you serious about the haircut? Don't paint it black. Really. Resist.

haha... only second hand huffing here... i used to do graffiti art.
yes... the haircut was no joke. Penny went to look at it and wasn't sure she wanted it. the lady had noticed her tattoo and fancy hair and offered the trade. :)

update...

got the frame wet sanded and put on the first coat of paint. it came out looking pretty good. theres a couple spots onthe top side that i missed (i was painting upside down due to the stand im using). good news is didnt have a heat stroke from the 106 temp.

it's hard to tell.. but it's a cream/almond color.
DSC01073.jpg

DSC01075.jpg

Latest posts

Back