Fitting Moon Discs to my bike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i decided i'd like to pay the huge amount of money for the discs and freight and get 4 moon discs for a 26" bike i'm building.

I managed to get the front disc fitted after a bit of fiddling and some hammering to straighten the disc, but the back one is a drama.

The wheel came from a coaster Raleigh running 26 x 2.125 balloon tyres, however the disc won't work out.

I had to take it to the bike shop, as i'm not clued up enough on coaster brakes to pull a wheel down, so i'm trying to relay what i've been told. Basically the dish of the disc is too deep or the hub needs be wider to make it work. It seems that I need a spacer to fit over the keyway for the brake, to attach the brake arm to, so that it will space it out further and clear the disc. On the sprocket side, the disc protrudes to where the sprocket is.

I'm wondering if anyone has fitted these discs to a bike and how they overcome the problems? I think the original Moon bike that had them fitted was a GT Dyno Cruiser, so I have emailed GT to see if i'm able to buy the rear wheel that was fitted to the bike, however, if that falls through, does anyone have any tips to get them fitted?

It will be an awesome looking bike when its built and its the exact look I want to complete my salt racer type bike.

FWIW, my GT Dyno Deuce has a Shimano 110 (110mm wide), but I dont know if that is what it came with OEM as I bought it used. Even if it was changed, I doubt the frame was changed, so the discs 'coned' for that hub width and up to the rim, ther than a little tweaking for the dish side to side, shouldnt be off too far???? Are your rims about the same width as the ones used with the discs?; that will affect the dish/cone compatibility.
Do I understand correctly that when the disc(s) fit up to the rim, the center rides high at the axle/hub? Were the discs all the same?, or could they have been coned a bit different for front and rear?

I'm not sure of the size, they're not with me at the moment.

Everything is ok and lines up apart from the depth of the dish if you put the dish on the wheel, the dish sits almost level with the end of the axel. I think the sprocket side may be ok, as the sprocket will force it in tighter.

I'll ring the shop today and see if I can get some measurements and chase up a Shimano 110, cheers for that.

Ok so dimensions I have are as follows:

Axle length 165mm
Hub width without brake arm approx 73mm
Hub width with sprocket approx 85mm

So hopefully a wider hub will do it. Its a lot narrower than I thought, but it was only a cheapie bike. I'll have a look on evilbay and try to find a complete wheel set that is wider.

Latest posts

Back