Fix/Restore Pedals

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you fix or restore pedals?

I have pedals that were painted and rusty in some parts like the shafts, one is a little loose where it goes into the crank and the rubber is dirty with paint in some spots so I hope I can atleast clean them some how.

The Pat No. shows these are Excel Pedals.
IMG_20111223_211141.jpg

IMG_20111223_211151.jpg

IMG_20111223_211240.jpg

IMG_20111223_211250.jpg

IMG_20111227_190308.jpg

IMG_20111227_190320.jpg

IMG_20111227_190350.jpg

IMG_20111227_190407.jpg

If you flatten the tabs with some vice grips they will come apart easily enough. The balls will try to fall out and disappear, so do it in a clear area over a paint tray or tool box or something. Keeping the balls in place while you line the parts up during reassembly is kind of tough, but with some stiff grease it is possible.

I like to take stuff like that apart over a shallow 'cookie' tray covered with a large shop towel, it keeps the bits from bouncing about and/or rolling to a corner and off when I fumble.

PLEASE Dont Shoot The Messenger...(ME)

I predict ...You have a better chance of seeing GOD,than taking those appart,restoring them without loosing one of the billion bearings inside them...

...THEN,putting them back together...

You WILL make up Curse Words trying to do that.

Thanks for the info.

:lol: I'm not going to shoot you because that happens with everything I do including changing the channel when the controller has full power & it's pointing directly at the box so I might as well do it when it's going to happen anyway with something else.

HEH ^

Ah,the colorfull curse words that I made up restoring the pedals on my Wild Indian are still floating around the shop somewhere.

And those were bolt together pedals.

I can look back and laugh now,but it wasnt too funny as I was doing it.

I was able to do an ok fix on the exact same pedals without taking them apart. My concern was bending those old tabs and having them crack during reassembly. So, small brass wire brush everything with any grease cutting household liquid cleaner. Then use a cleaner like Comet that has abrasive and a bleach in it on the rubber pads,rinse well. Next is choice of paint. For ease, I went with the brush . Use outdoor acrylic paint for the black stripes on the rubber pads. Walmart sells this in 2 oz bottles cheap, in the crafts dept. "FolkArt 938 Licorice" worked well. I also used it for the tube in the center to hide the corrosion. Went with silver outdoor acrylic for the end plates. Looks like one of your end plates is bent, giving you the looseness,just straighten it.

I'll just add if they spin freely and don't make crunchy noises, and if the play is not excessive, it's probably best to leave them unmolested. Sometimes a little judicious clamping or plier twisting can tighten them, but you can also make it worse.

Before you get into cleaning the rubbers it might be worthwhile to get some lightweight rubber safe solvent down into the bearings and get as much flushing as possible, then work some lube into them.. Thats more maintenance than kids ever gave pedals and look how long they lasted.

Thanks for the info.

The shaft one the right turns which is the one with the plate that moves, I think the bearings are all right but a little loose and spin nicely but a slight wobble.

My 65 Schwinn lost one or two bearings in it's right pedal so hope I could fix it too if possible.

i take my pedals apart, soak the rubbers in armorall and sandblast all the metal, then run them on a big wire wheel, makes em look like new.

I just tried some Soft Scrub on some 40ish year old (once white, now 'ivory') grips; an old toothbrush and a reasonable amount of time at the kitchen sink and they cleaned up really well. It should work as well on pedal rubbers.I figured that I could always escalate to the Comet if this didnt work, but I would sure use Soft Scrub again. Thanx for the tip Clamdigger :D .

Latest posts

Back