Fix This - Updated 4/25 with NEW pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Simple is my calling card when it comes to bikes, so thats why I love the look of fixies. To make the bike free, im using a freewheel so its not technically a fixie, which is fine by me. Frame is an early 70's Schwinn. Quick release front and rear. Added my favorite sprocket, flipped and cut the bars. Since half the green tape was missing from that Varsity I just got from the trash, I had to use it on here, its too cool of a color. I plan on painting the bike flat black. So its gonna be a rat fixie wanna be haha. Just finished mocking it up earlier, heres some pictures. The seat is mounted to the frame, after the pictures I flipped the guts upside down into the seat to lower it a couple more inches, the frame is a little tall for me anyways. Rear freewheel is from a stock OCC. Rides really nice. Just need to rob a blackwall tire from another bike to replace the nasty rotted gumwall on front.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Re: Fix This

Nice and simple! I prefer to keep the brake lever at my fingertips though... Did you re-dish the rear wheel or change the spacers at all?

Bunbury said:
Nice and simple! I prefer to keep the brake lever at my fingertips though... Did you re-dish the rear wheel or change the spacers at all?

What do you mean at your fingertips? And no I didn't have to redish the wheel, I added a couple of washers, otherwise its a nice straight chainline

Hooch said:
looks cool! put an excersizer sprocket on and go real fast! lol

Hmm...I could put the one I got from you on there...

moparmayhem93 said:
sweet forks :shock:

Thanks, there off an old Miyata

I almost want to keep the ratty red, but I also want to paint something. I already have my 56 and 63 schwinns with original ratty red. What do you guys think?

Im diggin it.

Ya got my vote for painting it black,it will look wicked with the green bars.

How do you mount the seat directly to the frame? All my clamps are too small and my LBS said they dont make a 1" seat clamp.

MagicRat said:
Im diggin it.

Ya got my vote for painting it black,it will look wicked with the green bars.

How do you mount the seat directly to the frame? All my clamps are too small and my LBS said they dont make a 1" seat clamp.

I just dug through the parts bin and found a bigger seat gut and took it. It was the only one I had.

Now if it would stop raining I could get some painting done...

ratina said:
What do you mean at your fingertips?

I tend to ride with my hands on in the drops or the brake hoods, and the levers are at my fingertips either way. I don't really use the flat section at the top of the bars, so your lever placement wouldn't work for me. It's mainly a matter of personal preference. Do you grip the extended part of the bullhorns as well as the top?

Bunbury said:
ratina said:
What do you mean at your fingertips?

I tend to ride with my hands on in the drops or the brake hoods, and the levers are at my fingertips either way. I don't really use the flat section at the top of the bars, so your lever placement wouldn't work for me. It's mainly a matter of personal preference. Do you grip the extended part of the bullhorns as well as the top?

Oh ok. Honestly I havent really ridden the bike past the driveway, and this is my first pair or bars like this. So I think I'll have to ride for a while and see. I've seen them put on backwards facing the top of the bullhorn, is that what your referring to?

Any updates? or is it finished?

I need to get one built, fixie is always on my mind lately...

I'm thinking something with gears would be more practical to ride to work and stuff. So...

this project is kind of on hold. The frame is a little tall for me but its all I got and I can live with it.

I'm working out some ideas on how to make the coolest rat rod road bike with gears, so stay tuned.

Heres the pictures as promised!

I ended up putting a seatpost on it. Still need a new front tire but I don't have any 27's laying around. A non rusty chain would be nice also but I'm keeping it free so its staying for now. I also tried moving the brake lever to the tip of the bars, but it wasn't comfortable and didn't look good so I moved it.

Let me know what you think.

fixthis1.jpg

fixthis2.jpg

fixthis3.jpg

She's a rat racer alrighty.

That green bar tape is really cool..looks good on this bike.

You need to find a bright green chain to go with it. :mrgreen:

Nice lookin....I kinda like the rusty chain-just another step in theft-proofing a bike. :mrgreen:

Back