Fixed pain

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampthing

Rusty and broken, Still rolling.
Pro Member
Reaction score
Found this a MTB while back, most everything was rusted and the tires and wheels were shot.
the decals all died from the mold and sun, but there is one little one left. It’s a Pacific Cycles something or other (Schwinn or Mongoose I guess. I am pretty sure I’m about to score a set of used fixed-gear 26” wheels soon, So this will get built up as a 26” BMX type ride and hopefully I won’t hurt myself too much playing with it.
The paint is still good, but I may grind the unneeded cable guides off and repaint it or run it bare.

Attachments

• F27100E1-7E7D-4924-9183-57D6F1060086.jpeg
    F27100E1-7E7D-4924-9183-57D6F1060086.jpeg
    899.8 KB · Views: 92
So in what direction will you be heading with this build? I like a start where you only have a frame - with nothing much hanging on it you might feel obliged to keep!

We will see. Once the wheels and a fork are on, and with those bars I am hoping for something like an OM flyer.
An Old Man BMX/ SS MTB for the old swamp thing. I’m thinking a true rusty rat rod presentation as well.
with maybe just a little bling for those with sharp eyes.

Dang.
I bought a fork.
it was shipped and delivered.
but to the wrong place. I Can’t seem to get a resolution that leaves me with a fork. :wondering::headbang:
so, does anybody have a straight 1” fork for a 26” wheel they want to sell/ trade/ get rid of?
It does not have to be pretty, this is going to be a swamp-rat old-man BMX rust rod after all.

Dang.
I bought a fork.
it was shipped and delivered.
but to the wrong place. I Can’t seem to get a resolution that leaves me with a fork. :wondering::headbang:
so, does anybody have a straight 1” fork for a 26” wheel they want to sell/ trade/ get rid of?
It does not have to be pretty, this is going to be a swamp-rat old-man BMX rust rod after all.
paging @macncheese

Ok
Frame
Fork
Wheels
Bars
All on the way.
I probably have cranks etc. that will work.
I will chose a seat later.
now I have to decide whether to paint it, or do a rust rod. I naturally lean towards rust over shine, I but will decide later.
Dang, this is as much fun as riding.

Swampy, with those wheels, that orange bar might fit in. :nod:

And, oftentimes many of us have ended up with a dog or cat that has seized a photo bomb op during our build offs. Not sure in the seven years that I've been around, if I've ever seen a chicken(s) in a build photo. :bigsmile:

Those are some fancy birds. We just had the Leghorn variety on my grandma's farm. Spent many hours as a youth reaching under those every day for eggs, and uh, chasing a few during the butchering process; if you know what I mean....

McMurrayHatchery-PearlWhiteLeghorn.jpg

What breed are yours? I like the coloring!

Yep that one is a buff Brahma
Many are americaunas that lay the blue and green eggs.
We also have a California gray, a something I forgot with a cool double comb, a Maran that lays dark “chocolate “ eggs, and a white Brahma.
Both my roosters are at least partially americauna so hopefully all the flock will eventually lay some kind of colorful egg.
I quit butchering a few years ago and went completely vegetarian after my first bout with cancer. But I still eat the eggs, and could not live without cheese.
And as far as the bars goes, uh. It’s too late. Already started stripping the paint.
I’m leaving the wheels red though.

Ok. Those old BMX wheels have 15mm axles.
I need to decide whether to open up the dropouts to fit, or file the axles where they meet the dropout/ fork end to slot in , or use a different wheelset.
I need to see if there is enough space to open the dropouts, as that is what I prefer in back. In the front I’m tempted to flatten two sides of the axle where it hits the fork (=) so it just fits.
Any comments or ideas?

Ok. Those old BMX wheels have 15mm axles.
I need to decide whether to open up the dropouts to fit, or file the axles where they meet the dropout/ fork end to slot in , or use a different wheelset.
I need to see if there is enough space to open the dropouts, as that is what I prefer in back. In the front I’m tempted to flatten two sides of the axle where it hits the fork (=) so it just fits.
Any comments or ideas?

I've always went the simple route with these. To me is so simple to file two grooves in the axle threads.

Looks like a cool build and you are having fun. Can't go wrong with that combo.

Back