Flea Market Freebies ??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These two came my way today. They were at a local flea market, marked 'free'.?!? :? Confused, but happy.
A Hawthorne, and a WF. Pulled the 1960's D battery out, and replaced it with a new.....honk, honk. Fixed the 'hotrod' handlebars, and she's ready to ride.

002-12.jpg

003-13.jpg

004-8.jpg

001-23.jpg

005-7.jpg

a good week for "freebies" for both of us, as i scored two classic 80's trek pro series 560 racing bikes on friday as freebies.

the wf looks to be amf/roadmaster (CWC?) built and the hawthorne a hp snyder built bike (builders of rollfast as well). this is the trippy part...

IMG_0782.jpg

i have one too! very similar to yours about down to the color. i picked it as the bike i was going to build up for my wife and enter as my rrbo4 bike, and that ended up looking like this...

IMG_0913.jpg

"silver bullit".

small world, huh?

roadmaster said:
a good week for "freebies" for both of us, as i scored two classic 80's trek pro series 560 racing bikes on friday as freebies.

the wf looks to be amf/roadmaster (CWC?) built and the hawthorne a hp snyder built bike (builders of rollfast as well). this is the trippy part...

IMG_0782.jpg

i have one too! very similar to yours about down to the color. i picked it as the bike i was going to build up for my wife and enter as my rrbo4 bike, and that ended up looking like this...

IMG_0913.jpg

"silver bullit".

small world, huh?

Creepy how close they are.....
Actually, to add more creep to the equation, I was recently inspired by your buildoff bike to take another stepthrough frame bike that I have sitting around, and "tighten" it up to something similiar to what you built..........small world indeed.

definatly kinda creepy but i am stoked that my rrbo4 bike has inspired you. i wish i knew what year mine was and wonder if the "66" on the ser sticker on the seat post could be year possibly (for yours of course). looks around that era. the mounts on the chainguard to the bracket where it mounts gave out on me and i fabricated new ones for it (see my joural of the build on silver bullit for rrbo4 bikes). a little more flex than i like to the frame, but thats the nature of the step thru beast (prev refered to as a girls bike). the forks werent wide enough for the chrome fenders id intended to put on it for the build off, but ran out of time. now i got the forks off my 86' monterey that will fit perfectly so i can put the fenders on and finish it the way i want it to be. the wife talks alot of wanting some metalic anodized purple paint to do her own customizations to it. and yes jules... my hawthorne was free to me as well, but we'll show em what we can do with free bikes. right? :lol:

roadmaster said:
definatly kinda creepy but i am stoked that my rrbo4 bike has inspired you. i wish i knew what year mine was and wonder if the "66" on the ser sticker on the seat post could be year possibly (for yours of course). looks around that era. the mounts on the chainguard to the bracket where it mounts gave out on me and i fabricated new ones for it (see my joural of the build on silver bullit for rrbo4 bikes). a little more flex than i like to the frame, but thats the nature of the step thru beast (prev refered to as a girls bike). the forks werent wide enough for the chrome fenders id intended to put on it for the build off, but ran out of time. now i got the forks off my 86' monterey that will fit perfectly so i can put the fenders on and finish it the way i want it to be. the wife talks alot of wanting some metalic anodized purple paint to do her own customizations to it. and yes jules... my hawthorne was free to me as well, but we'll show em what we can do with free bikes. right? :lol:

Looking forward to building one of the freebie stepthroughs I have sitting around for the wife. Unfornately, she's tall, so these little 24" tired bikes won't cut it. I even bought her a 63 Schwinn American, and it's too small. At least with the stock seat post and handlebar stem.

Looking forward to building one of the freebie stepthroughs I have sitting around for the wife. Unfornately, she's tall, so these little 24" tired bikes won't cut it. I even bought her a 63 Schwinn American, and it's too small. At least with the stock seat post and handlebar stem.[/quote]

those are 24" tire bikes? my wifes hawthorne is a 26". so you said you got her a 63' schwinn american?...

IMG_0723.jpg

MY 62' schwinn american. heavy-duti, that is. :D

good bike. very good. the only one that gives me NO trouble and i could probably ride it thru a brick wall. id just get a londer seat post for the others. thats what i have to do whenever i get a new bike, but i am 6'2".

WhiteShadow said:
one of my flyers has just about as much if not more rust as that one. same button too. i may have to go pick up some d cells now

Do so. I was completely amazed. This horn was even pointing toward the sky, I'm assuming taking on rain for X amount of time. I did nothing more than swap the D battery, and she worked :D

roadmaster said:
Looking forward to building one of the freebie stepthroughs I have sitting around for the wife. Unfornately, she's tall, so these little 24" tired bikes won't cut it. I even bought her a 63 Schwinn American, and it's too small. At least with the stock seat post and handlebar stem.

those are 24" tire bikes? my wifes hawthorne is a 26". so you said you got her a 63' schwinn american?...

IMG_0723.jpg

MY 62' schwinn american. heavy-duti, that is. :D

good bike. very good. the only one that gives me NO trouble and i could probably ride it thru a brick wall. id just get a londer seat post for the others. thats what i have to do whenever i get a new bike, but i am 6'2".[/quote]

Here's the American I picked up for my wife.
Fun bike. Horn works. 2 spd kickback.

004-9.jpg

Back