Fleet Wing Retro-Custom - UPDATE #3

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A while back I started lurking here and wanted to start compiling some parts to build a custom bike of my own. I love the creative minds here and wanted to try my hand at it.

A while ago, while visiting my in-laws, I asked them to keep an eye out for any old bikes. My wife's stepmom says, "go look at our old bikes and see if there are any you like." They had a '90s generic mountain bike that my sis-in-law had rode pretty hard, a simple 20" standard that was my kid bro-in-laws, and....a really cool looking older "comfort" road bike....with a chrome frame! I mentioned that the older one struck my fancy. No real indication of whether it was available or not, so.....

Skip a couple weeks, and my Pa-in-law calls and says that the local bike shop told him that it would cost more to "fix" the bike than it was worth. Maybe so. Then he asks if I would be interested before they got rid of it. "SURE!" A couple weeks later, we're back in Richmond and I get the bike in the back of the Suburban for the trek home. Here it is in all it's pre-cleaning glory....
DSCN5364.JPG

DSCN5366.JPG

DSCN5367.JPG

DSCN5368.JPG

My plans are to clean it up, make some reversible modifications, and enjoy it! I've already started cleaning it with WD-40 and 4/0 steel wool. So far it's looking really good. Ordered new tires/tubes/rimstrips. Took the front wheel completely apart, cleaned/polished the rim, and relaced the spokes. Thrned out pretty good for how far gone they were. Flipped the "moustache" bar over for a boardtrack feel. I have to find a replacement rear fender...way too much surface rust to clean up.

After some research, it seems to be a Raleigh-built Jordan Marsh bike, and judging from the build date on the Sturmey/Archer A.W. rear hub, is a 1961 model! Pa-in-law said he bought it used in 1972-3. If anyone has any additional info or assistance, let me know!

I'll post progress pics as soon as I get them taken!

Thanks for looking!

Re: Fleet Wing Retro-Custom

I look forward to see what you come up! Have fun, be creative, build it to suit yourself and glorify our Lord and Savior! Maybe toss in one cross, 3 nails...

Ooops, forgot - for the rear fender you may want to think about shooting some Rust-Oleum Hammered spray paint - goes right over the rust (after a little clean up) and I like the look and feel - and saves some money.

onereargear said:
Ooops, forgot - for the rear fender you may want to think about shooting some Rust-Oleum Hammered spray paint - goes right over the rust (after a little clean up) and I like the look and feel - and saves some money.

ORG, The hammered spray you speak of....How close to Chrome is it's appearance? My fenders are chrome also!

Thanks for the kind words! I'll have to think hard about the "theme"!

SDG
Brett

What a cool find, you can probably get the year off the Sturney archer rear hub its usually stamped right into it, I have a 62 Western flyer that was made in england with the same design even right down to the peak in the front fender.

10/4/2010 UPDATE!

Got the FW disassembled and started cleaning with a vengeance!

Before and after on the forks.....
FleetWing%20002.jpg

FleetWing%20004.jpg

Frame after....
FleetWing%20011.jpg

FleetWing%20012.jpg

FleetWing%20014.jpg

FleetWing%20015.jpg

Starting to reassemble....
FleetWing%20016.jpg

FleetWing%20017.jpg

About the best I could do on the rims...
FleetWing%20018.jpg

FleetWing%20019.jpg

Cleaning progress on the crank sprocket....
FleetWing%20020.jpg

FleetWing%20021.jpg

Started reassembly of the crank. Got to the last bolt and....oops!
FleetWing%20022.jpg

So, where's the best place to get a replacement?

Re: Fleet Wing Retro-Custom - UPDATE #1

Looks incredible so far.

This bike would look really cool with some cream colored tires.

VERY COOL! :D

Thanks for the kind words.

I've already got solid black tires coming, but just for kicks, where would I get creme tires in 26x1 3/8 (37-590, EA-3)? And how much would a set be?

SDG
Brett

I got a replacement cottered crank pin at my LBS, bring your old one so they can replace it with the right size(actually im not sure if there are different sizes)

Yep, my LBS had them. Needed the 9.5 mm size. (yes, there is more than one size!)

Look for UPDATE #2 this evening. Got a BUNCH done last night!

SDG
Brett

Re: Fleet Wing Retro-Custom - UPDATE #2

UPDATE 10/7/2010

Got most of the cleaning done last night. Assembled everything I had. All I'm missing currently is the chain and brake pads. Here's where it stands until I can make another LBS run....
DSCN5533.JPG

DSCN5535.JPG

Cleaned up the rear rim without having to disassemble....
DSCN5536.JPG

Chainwheel and cranks....
DSCN5537.JPG

Shifter....
DSCN5538.JPG

Still think I'll need a rear fender...Pretty rough and rusted....Had to "WD" sand with 320 grit to break the rust....
DSCN5539.JPG

I think I need black grips. How 'bout you????

SDG
Brett

Re: Fleet Wing Retro-Custom - UPDATE #2

Thanks Mark.

Whaddayathink? Fenders or no fenders? And I do have the chain guard.

SDG
Brett

Back