Flip Flop Hub?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They can also be Fixed , Fixed . Without the frewheel option. That way you can flip the wheel around and have different gearing.

There's more than one kind of flip-flop hub, be careful! There's the two mentioned above, fixed/free and fixed/fixed, but there's also a BMX "flip-flop" hub that has regular freewheel threads on one side, and smaller metric BMX freewheel threads on the other.

besides what is mentioned above, you can also use a flip flop hub to make a disc brake wheel using an adaptor
that spins on to hold the rotor or a disc hub and an adaptor to create a dual disc wheel up front .. real cool

You better take a fixed/fixed, so you can put a freewheel-sprocket or a fixed on both sides - however you want. If you have one side freewheel-winding, you must put a freewheel-sprocket on it, because a fixed-sprocket on freewheel-winding could be dangerous without a lockring.

regards, Paul

you can also thread a bmx freewheel onto a fixed side of the hub, there's enough threads I'm told, although I have not tried this.

I ride a freewheel-sprocket (White Industries) on a Phil Wood-Flipflop fixed-winding, and there´s no problem . . .

regards, Paul

Latest posts

Back