FNG in SoCal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lurking for awhile now, scored some parts and swag from the site, and spent countless hours reading your posts, builds and tips. I have a few factory bikes (Electra rat rod, Columbiat ATB, Micargi Falcon, Schwinn OCC Chopper) with subtle mods, and waiting for the right project to reach out and bite me. In the meantime I put together a semi-rat for my Girlfriend. I realized without the space and spare part inventory it cost me way more to build than just to buy, but the experience was fun and interesting. I dont have any before pictures but I picked up a ladies 26" Electra for $35 that had 7 different coats of paint on it including some glitter thrown in for good measure. Thinking it was all there and usable was my first mistake.

Three applications of aircraft stripper and some high pressure water and I got this. Every piece on this bike had multiple layers of paint, even the tires!!
strippedclean_zpsf1038432.jpg

parts_zps7dc5b7bc.jpg

Tires, tubes and bottom kit from chimichanga
wheels_zpsa0cd7788.jpg

You guys have all seen paint drying, but here is one anyway.
primerbest_zps2500bcab.jpg

Three coats of primer, followed by three coats of satin black and satin red wet sanded before color and after second coat with 600 and I get this. Still looking for the right set of grips but she's happy and I am very satisfied with the outcome. Look hard and you can see my RRB sticker from Rat Rod on the frame to really finish it off. Just waiting for the chrome sprocket guard to be done.
done3_zps4fb738c3.jpg

done2_zps0fb1760a.jpg

Total cost went something like this:
$35 for bike
$40 for wheelset
$40 for tires, tubes, bottom kit
$15 for seat
$8 Cruiser pedals
$32 for stripper, paint and sandpaper
$15 for misc parts like seat clamp, derailer guard BUT

The experience was priceless and now she has a bike that will stand out, and not the same as every other cruiser on the board walk.

Sooo thats my introduction! Nice to meet you all and thanks for the great site.

Welcome and nice lookin bike man!!

Yall need to come cruise with us the 2nd sat of each month!!

Theres a cruise this sat too you mite wanna join in on.

Look in the "events" sectoin for info on ride.

schwinnless said:
Welcome and nice lookin bike man!!

Yall need to come cruise with us the 2nd sat of each month!!

Theres a cruise this sat too you mite wanna join in on.

Look in the "events" sectoin for info on ride.

That would be cool, we have been looking for some riding friends. As soon as a nagging back problem clears up we will be ready! Thanks for the invite and the positive comments.

Back