foot shifter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
has any one created a foot shifter (like a motorcycles) using a 3 speed Shimano hub?
Are 3 speed similar to other multi speed were you need to be pedaling to make it shift or can you stop pedaling,shift, then start pedaling again?
Trying to figure out if this is possible.

I've never seen one, but it should work!! :shock:

and no you dont have to pedal to shift an internal hub, you can do it standing still...

Should work but might not be too practical. I would think that you'd have to mount it far enough away from your foot that you wouldn't bump it as your pedaling. So if that's the case, you would have to remove you foot from the pedal which is not a problem unless you wanna shift going up or down a hill.
Defintely interested in seeing what you come up with.

Or...

Mount a motorcycle footshifter on the left side of the frame, lower down the frame extend a 1/2" steel rod for your heel to rest on - think foot pegs on a motorcycle. On the right pedal you mount a stapless toe clip.

Now, you can keep pedal rotation and use your foot shifter.

hells-bells no rydr1 that would be to easy. I think the gauntlet has been thrown down. I will figure this out somehow.
Fe203 I thought about the separate foot peg to rest my foot on to shift. might be an easier way to go then keeping my foot on the pedal to shift.

Hey, I am came across this guy's ride on accident, while researching info on a Sachs hub. Check out JOScatRATrod's: Joscat's Caffeinachronism
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=18602
catsandfinishedrats026.jpg

catsandfinishedrats031.jpg

I think a simple peg just behind the shifter (on the frame) would make this evey fuctional. That would give the rider's heel a place to rest as the toes shift.

catsandfinishedrats031.jpg
[/quote]

Exactly what I had in mind if setting it up so the foot could stay on the pedal bur maybe make a little move up to rech the shifter. Thanks Fastmunny

Back