For Sale "Old Schwinn" - '62 Typhoon content!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I spotted an ad last week on craigslist. It read, "For Sale - Old Schwinn." No further description. No picture. :?

I figured I would send out an email to see what it was. Didn't hear back for a while, and had mostly written it off, when I got a picture in my inbox. I recognized the frame instantly. :shock:

It took me a couple of days to hook up with the owner, as she was rather busy. It turns out, I know her from the 'hood. She took me over to her garage and said, "I'll show you the old Schwinn, and the bike I am keeping." She opened the garage door, and I saw the "Old Schwinn", a '62 Typhoon in really nice shape. And her "keeper", a J.C. Higgins Color-Flow!

Gotta love a poorly listed classic! Pardon the grainy cellphone image. More to come when the light is better.

IMAG0443.jpg

Re: Fore Sale "Old Schwinn" - '62 Typhoon content!

Nice score!

The tear drop reflector on the rear fender is sweet. :D

He shoots, he scores!!! Those fenders are from a deluxe model like a Corvette, Tiger, Jaguar, Deluxe American, etc. Typhoons had painted fenders until the Deluxe Typhoon came out, '65 I think. Regardless, way cool find! -Adam

Nice bike. It sure looks like an old Schwinn reflector on there. I looked at the 62 catalog, painted fenders alright. I think those are Schwinn fenders because of the good fit, especially on the rear between the bottom and the seat stays. When ever I have put non schwinn fenders on, they never line up evenly on the rear.

Do I see a painted fender behind the bike on a rack? Sure look like the OG red with white stripping. :D

Rustinkerer said:
He shoots, he scores!!! Those fenders are from a deluxe model like a Corvette, Tiger, Jaguar, Deluxe American, etc. Typhoons had painted fenders until the Deluxe Typhoon came out, '65 I think. Regardless, way cool find! -Adam

If that bike came with chrome fenders the rims would be chrome as well. Schwinn never mixed the two that I can remember. They look like original Schwinn fenders to me. Corvette and Jag had stainless fenders so Deluxe American or girls Hollywood or similar would be a probable source. Looks like you need some chrome S-7's to me. :wink: Gary

Nice find! Those double bar straightbar frames are so classic, and yours looks like it is in awesome shape.

Cool find :wink: Too bad you couldn't get the Higgins :(

Those are SOOOO hard to find with nice red paint. Usually that shade has bleached to a magenta-y pink very un-masculine shade. I saw a red frame and fork go for $137 a while back on ebay, didn't have as nice paint as this.

Latest posts

Back