?? for the Schwinn Gurus

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I am looking for a Schwinn blade style fork with a 7 1/4" steer tube. I'm guessing I need to look at girls forks to find the longer steer, as stock mens is 6 3/4".

Tim

What era/size are you looking for? No promises, but I want to say that all postwar Schwinns used the same headtube length between mens and ladies bikes. You'd have to go back prewar to get the longer length, in which case, you won't find the blade style. I could be wrong; though, I'm nearly positive that by the middleweight era, they were the same and I believe earlier yet.

Are you looking to make a King Size fork by chance?

I have a 1950 Hornet, but want to install a modern headset w/ sealed bearings, and doing so the cups have a lager stack height then the old school loose ball headsets. I really would like to retain the truss rod look also.

Tim

Schwinn used blade forks prewar. My '41 DX has one. Actually, they were made by Ashtabula. You should be able to find a girls fork off of a pre '41 Schwinn that will work. The '41 girls had already been shortened to 6 and something inches so you need a '40 or before. Gary

bikejunky said:
A Neco from Porkchop BMX

Those are almost big enough, but you'll still need to shim the cups. They'll be loose in your 1950s Schwinn. (Not as loose as a "regular"1", but loose nonetheless.) I'd see how much "real estate" you've got on that the current fork's threads before I went crazy trying to find a fork with more steerer that still looks vintage.

You'll also want to get both size crown races from porkchop; if you do need a different fork, there's no way of telling if it'll be a 27.0 or a 26.4.

hth
-rob

I have the headset installed already, no shims needed just a light press fit. This is how I determined the need for the 7 1/4" steer tube. Im just gathering parts for this may be my build off project. I have to choose from at the moment. :lol:

Tim

Back