Forgotten Dahon

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
My godson picked up his new bike from me and dropped off the Dahon I gave his aunt about 8 years ago. It looks like it has sat for about that long and is rusty and covered with dirt and dust. The michelins still look good though.
So it will get a complete rebuild, paint and all.
Today:
17 Aug 24 bike.jpg

From about 10 years ago:
10013455_10152316224971737_1294425839_o.jpg

Very cool. Dahons are well made bikes in my opinion.

Scoring a pair of Dahons at a yard sale years ago are actually what got me back into bikes. I was on the Dahon forum before I discovered the RRB forum.
Here is the Dahon I fixed up for my wife next to the rough stage of Fugsley for comparison.

1723896518356.png

I bought a pair of Retrospec 7 speed foldies from Fb Marketplace for $200 recently. I think I posted them here. I have enjoyed them, well, one of them, I haven't ridden the other yet, so much - way more than anticipated. The Retrospec is a copy of the Dahon.

I took off the handbrakes and put it back to it's original setup with just a coaster brake. It was a red Boardwalk single speed at a church sale for 10 bucks. All the hinges needed cleaned up and lubed but are all in good shape. I took off the Michelins and found cracks in one where it had been sitting flat for a long time. Those tires are about 14 years old. To my surprize a 2.4 tire fit in the rear and a 2.125 fit up front. Those are on there just for testing. I ordered some new blue rims and a blue hub for the front. I need to get another coaster hub, this wheel belongs to a BMX bike I stole the wheel from. I think a nice set of 1.50 street tires will work best with this setup.
It's ready for a ride now. I'll see if a 52/18 ratio will be suitable. If I use my 2 speed I'll have to add handbrakes so I'll probably stay single speed.

18 Aug mock.jpg

Latest posts

Back