Midnight Flash

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here’s the freewheel with the thickest spacer.
IMG_1407.jpeg

The wheel was having a tough time dropping in, so I had to open up the stays again.
IMG_1408.jpeg

I got the wheel in, but the alignment is really crooked. I’ve tweaked the dropouts, but can’t find the spot. Where it passes through the seat stays it’s leaning towards the non-drive side.
IMG_1409.jpeg

I’m not sure how to tackle this

I have done this a few times. My method is to put a spare hub in the dropouts to keep the spacing intact. Then I position the frame with the head tube on the floor and the dropouts propped up on the bottom shelf of my workbench. (Anything stable will do). Then gently and very gently step on the seat tube. This will push the dropouts back in the right direction. Key is to take your time.

Here is a picture of the same method, but straightening a fork. Just picture a bike frame instead.

Example photo
IMG_4472.jpeg

Also, do you have a derailleur alignment tool? Looks like that might be part of the problem.

Last edited:
I have done this a few times. My method is to put a spare hub in the dropouts to keep the spacing intact. Then I position the frame with the head tube on the floor and the dropouts propped up on the bottom shelf of my workbench. (Anything stable will do). Then gently and very gently step on the seat tube. This will push the dropouts back in the right direction. Key is to take your time.

Here is a picture of the same method, but straightening a fork. Just picture a bike frame instead.

Also, do you have a derailleur alignment tool? Looks like that might be part of the problem.
Great idea! Much easier than the 2x4 method too. :113:

I don't have a derailleur alignment tool because I don't really need one. These old hanger derailleurs can be tweaked to work. That's one of my last steps of gear set up. As far as where it hangs, that's aligning the dropout itself.

Thanks for the step method. I'll work on that this afternoon.

A lot of progress made today. Where we left off…

Rear triangle was out of alignment. I got a 2x4 and used it to slowly tweak the sides.
IMG_1420.jpeg

It took a while of work, but I wrangled the two sides into an even space and realigned the dropouts again.
IMG_1422.jpeg

So back the original problem, the chain rubbing the tire. I tried the wide spacer and it was just too wide. So I worked with the thinner one.
There’s still a lot of crowding with the freewheel moved over.
IMG_1425.jpeg

This protruding lip is hitting the derailleur retaining nut.
IMG_1426.jpeg

So…
IMG_1427.jpeg

The flange of the nut is causing some spacing issues
IMG_1428.jpeg

So ground it down and shaped it to get out of the way.
IMG_1429.jpeg

I had to add a thin spacer. It did the trick. You can see it between the washer and the lock nut.
IMG_1431.jpeg

And it all worked. I have some space!
IMG_1433.jpeg

But will it be enough space for the white letters? There’s a pretty sharp corner and those lines on the sidewall.
IMG_1435.jpeg

So I took an orbital sander to it and smoothed it out.
IMG_1436.jpeg

And then…
IMG_1440.jpeg

And they fit!
IMG_1442.jpeg

IMG_1443.jpeg

With the wheel all taken care of, I threw a good portion of the mock up together.
IMG_1445.jpeg

Latest posts

Back