Fork measurements

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive tried the search option and used all kinds of words- no luck.

Im wanting to put a springer fork on my bike. I need to measure the ID and length of the head tube to figure out what fork to get?

You need the OD of the head tube (1" or 1 1/8" usually), the length of the head tube, and then whether you want a threaded fork or not. For most vintage cruisers you'll want a 1" threaded fork, and then you just need to figure out the length.

Is there already a fork installed on the bike? If so, easiest thing is to remove the current fork, measure it's OD and the length of the steer tube, and look for something different. Depending on spacer usage, you may be able to use something a little shorter or longer. Another issue (which shouldn't be an issue, but it has become one) is the crown race seat. But, i wouldn't worry too much about that just yet. Many forks will come with a crown race seat, and most crown races designed for an unsealed headset will work with almost any unsealed headset of the same size.

hth,
-rob

Back