Fork question, probably a dumb one.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the story on this screw? Is this for holding the front fender on? The fork and tube are one piece, right?

I cannot get this screw to budge. I plan on having my frame/fork powdercoated, should I just have them sandblast and powdercoat right over this evil screw?

IMG_0652sm.jpg

Well, I'll be the dumb guy to attempt an answer! :D Yep, in my very limited experience, that screw has been to help fasten down the front fender. I've seen them threaded into the fork and I had one that the bolt dropped down from inside the head tube and through a hole in the bottom of the fork. I had to stick a long screwdriver down there to hold it in place while I tightened down the nut underneath, between the forks. The threaded screw hole style is much easier to work with.

If it were me, I'd battle to remove it before powder coating. Perhaps some PB Blaster shot down the inside of the head tube would help free it up? Even if you don't want to use that threaded hole to attach a front fender, you might want to use it for some other application down the road, like a low slung bullet headlight bracket , or a front rack, or something else. It could come in handy down the road. Getting it out now will be a whole lot less painful than having to worry about marring the finish later after it's powder coated.
Good luck --- Pudge

Grind it off, drill out the threaded remains and they you can tap it with new threads once it is powdercoated. At least this way you would have options down the road.

I've seen some truss rod brackets attach to this bolt as well.

Sweet. Thanks all. Now I've got options.

Back