fork slot enlargement

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
what do all you guys use to make the axle slots on a fork bigger ? i mean if you have a 5/16 axle and a standard fork and want to use a bmx wheel with 3/8 axle what do you use to make the slots bigger? also what do you use to widen the fork to spread it for a wider axle? :?:

I would use a grinding wheel to make the slot wider and if its close to being wide enough. We usually just throw a little muscle to the forks to spred them

I just used a drum sander attachment for my dremel tool to modify a fork drop out. worked fine.

as far as widening the forks, I have a special tool for straightening them and checking alignment, but you could just use brute force, then devise a way to check the alignment

good luck

thanks guys, someone told me to use a cutoff wheel on the slots, then use a block of wood to spread them. i just wanted to get some answers from somebody that did it before. :D

I use a 3/8" rotary file in my drill press to open the fork slot. To widen the forks I place the forks on the ground, stand on one leg and pull the other gently. Then flip the fork and do the other side. Work slowly back and forth to keep the legs even.

P.s. I am moving this thread to the how-to forum.

I use a file on any 3/8 in axles, clamped in a bench vise, to file flats on each side of the axle to fit in my older forks. My forks are much more valuable than any 3/8 in axle :!:

I have found it a good idea to do about anything by hand the first time (the file), checking fit often, then up the game to power tools after Ive learned a bit. Remember, power tools can make big mistakes way faster than any hand tool.

When I've done it, I worked on just one side of the slot at a time, checking the width frequently. When I achieve half of the increase needed, I switch to the other side of the slot and continue from there. That should maintain the slot centerline.

I'm not sure if I'd like that. That puts a stress concentration on both ends of your axle. It also confines you to one wheel. Well, I guess you could move the axle from hub to hub if you wanted to change wheels, but that's not very convenient.

I actually do the other thing. I file two flat surfaces in the spindle for it to clear the existing fork slots.
For widening forks, I use a Fiat car jack. I bolt an old spindle in the dropouts to make sure that measurement stays constant, then use the car jack to bend the fork legs outward.

The old Fiats came with a scissor jack like this:

110495687.jpg

You can get them free at your local scrapyard.

Latest posts

Back