Found a $20 1967 Raleigh Robin Hood

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I saw this bike on the local CraigsList for $20 this past week and decided to call on it. The lady selling it offered to drop it off at my office so I decided to buy.

Not sure what I'll do with it. Seems like some cool parts that could be used for a future rat....cool neck with robin hood engraved, cool brakes and a nice SA 3 Speed hub.

Thought yall might like to have a look. :shock:

100_2611.jpg

100_2612.jpg

100_2616.jpg

100_2613.jpg

100_2614.jpg

100_2615.jpg

100_2617.jpg

100_2618.jpg

i think I would just do one of your super detailings on it and keep it for the missus... well if there is a missus lol it would look super riding beside your collegiate :) an I think the necks on those are a tad bit bigger thatn american bikes and these are some of the best riding bikes ever made and super nice chrome!

Hooch said:
how many bikes is that now RatRod? hehehe your bitten bad

Ha Ha....yeah, this stuff is way too addictive. Actually, I think I'm not as bad as some of these guys I see on the Schwinn forum. Here's my line up:

- Gary Fischer Ladies Mountain Bike
- 1967 Schwinn Collegiate Deluxe
- 1967 Schwinn Typhoon
- 1969 Schwinn Collegiate
- 1967 Raleigh Robin Hood
- 80s Model Huffy Good Vibrations (RRBBO)

I just recently sold my 2002 Marin Bolinas Ridge on CraigsList and I also sold that 1984 Schwinn Cruiser. Had to free up some dough for all this bike building/trading, etc.

I'm not sure what I like best about this hobby....buying & selling or building & riding. There's something about the thrill of the hunt and also the thrill of someone handing you $250 in cash. :mrgreen: This stinkin' CraigsList is ruining my life...ha ha!

I'm not sure I could convince my wife to ride this old Raleigh. She likes her mountain bike and while she thinks these old bikes look cool, she's a bit concerned about the stability factor. Maybe a set of 26x2.125 white walls would change her mind. :lol:

Was curious to see what this bike would look like with white walls. :lol:

Not to make you boys up north feel bad, but it got up to 60 today with mucho sun. Don't worry, paybacl time comes next August when it's 105 down here and 75 up there. :oops:

I stripped the brakes off and I plan to put a single speed coaster hub on the back. I tried to put my Schwinn rim off my Typhoon on the back, but the axle bolts are too big to slide into the frame. The old SA hub has flat spots on the axle bolts. Anybody deal with this issue before?

Also would like to see a white seat on this bike.

100_2624.jpg

100_2625.jpg

Yep, all there.

So am I stuck using the SA hub or can I grind down the drop out a bit to allow the normal round axle bolts to slide in?

The other option is to have the SA hub laced into my wider rim, but I don't know how to do it and I don't have the cash to spend on having it done. :roll:

the SA hub is probably 40 spokes too
you could grind it out for the coaster but personally I would leave it and modify other ways..... they make a whitewall tire for that rim too and tires are alot more common than Schwinn sizes

I definitely want the fat white wall look. This bike's paint job is just screamin' 60s custom supreme. :D

As you have already figured out, I know more about graphic design and websites than I do bike building, ha ha.

I'm finding out the hard way that interchangability (word?) is not a reality when mixing brands.

I might take a stab at swapping the SA hub to a wider rim and then have the LBS true the wheel. They only charge me $6 a wheel to do that.

If anyone else has suggestions I'd be open. I'd rather have a singel speed coaster hub out back to keep it clean and simple, but it doesn't look like one will just drop into the fram. :cry:

Thanks guys!

you can grind the flats on a standard axle its not to dificult , it does help if you have the die to chase the threads after the grinding.
A die grinder and a cut wheel , its my favorite tool , next to a hammer :lol:

$6.00 or $60.00
If it's $6.00 do it!
keep the 3 speed!
and DO NOT!!!! change that color!

Run White walls...a White Banana Seat( or a Fat White Single seat )..a set of Ape hangers with White Grips..and it's Done.

I love the Color!
a very cool bike!

how tight is that wheel in the fork? I have my Hercules apart cleaning the rims and stuck a 26x2.125 wheel and tire in the fork and its a no go or does your Schwinn have s7 wheels and 26x1 3/4 tires?

Yeah...26 x 1 3/4 and it barely clears it.

Still trying to decide what to do with this bike. May end up cleaning it real well and then seeing what it would bring on Ebay.

The whole rear wheel issue is more than I want to deal with at the moment.

Debbie at bikeworldusa has a set of 26 x 1 3/8 white walls for $32 shipped.

Back