Found a good clearcoat for flat finishes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rats,

I wanted to add a protective clear coat over the flat lusterless enamel paint on my Higgy. I had a hard time finding a flat clear. Most were either satin or gloss. Plus it became confusing on what type of paint could go over another type. Some said you ca'n't put acrylic over enamel over lacquer over uerathane over whatever.

Anyhoo, I found that Testor's Dullcoat lacquer spray worked great for me. Dries fast and doesn't add any shine whatsoever.

Spin

I've had problems with Testors paint checking non-Testors paint.

I use Krylon Spray Matte finish, it's the only Krylon Product I use, I prefer Rust-o-Leum or Plasticote. It's a little on the satin side, but you can hit it with steel wool to tone it down once it's dry.

ive never had any problems with it checking(albeit ive only used it on one bike).....i used testors over ppgs 2 part etching primer and rustoleum enamel spray paint(but i did do test panels first to make sure nothing bad would happen before i sprayed the bike)...

if you want to get a mile deep shine you cant beat a lacquer thats been hand rubbed...
as for having to be rubbed out you dont have to at all.
personally i used the glosscoat(testors) over wash primer to add a little more shine than just regular etch primer had and didnt rub it(did on a test panel and brought way more gloss than i wanted)....as for protection it wont offer much but sometimes not much is better than none
checking is when the base or top coat reacts to something and kind of looks like tiny crows feet in the finish

Spray laquer over enamel if you want to see "checking". The wet paint attacks the paint underneath and softens it up and lifts it, it looks like a checkboard or alligator skin. Then you let it dry and sand it all off...

What's confusing to me is that Testor's 'lacquer' Dullcote is (I think) meant to go over their 'enamel' paints isn't it? I think Testors line of medeliing paints are all enamels for the most part.

Besides the fact that in my case, my 'enamel' base coat has changed not one iota since overspraying with the lacquer.

Your mileage may vary, of course. :)

Spin

the testors glosscoat i used is a lacquer and did use over an enamel with out problems(as stated before i did test panels to make sure there wouldnt be problems) sprayed it wet on wet and then tried letting it flash for 2 hrs. had no problems with either ones........not saying that problems couldnt arise just didnt have any when i did it(again test panels will let you know before you destroy your prep work) and none have surfaced to this day....

I used Valspar satin clear on RatSter, it has some sheen, but I like it. lays out really well, too.
SUNP0031.jpg
~Adam

Latest posts

Back