Found a Phantom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
picked me up a nice 52 Phantom. paint on the frame and fork is really nice. someome left batteries in the light, has som corrosion, only thing missig is the light cover and orig tires. Even has the Schwinn 3 speed rear hub and front drum brake. Enjoy, please comment.
phantom1_zps5f282b45.jpg

phantom2_zps822cf26d.jpg

phantom3_zps0e226818.jpg

phantom4_zps4cecd91a.jpg

phantom5_zps1c4afcfd.jpg

phantom6_zps52659832.jpg

phantom7_zps2e70aed6.jpg

phantom8_zpsffd5aa50.jpg

Great find! That bike will clean up nicely. We never find them like that around here.
Johnny

That's a 2-speed Bendix rear hub. I'd say the hub was added later, which is why it has a sweetheart chainring instead of a Phantom chainring. They had to match the chain and chainring to the skiptooth cog on the 2 speed. Gary

B607 said:
That's a 2-speed Bendix rear hub. I'd say the hub was added later, which is why it has a sweetheart chainring instead of a Phantom chainring. They had to match the chain and chainring to the skiptooth cog on the 2 speed. Gary
It's actually a New Departure triple speed rear hub with matching shifte.r

I thought that shifter looked odd with that tab sticking out the side. I've never owned a triple speed hub. I still think it was converted after it was bought and not factory. A super find no matter what hub it has. 8) Gary

Is that one of the new departure triplespeed conversion kits ??? (bike shop accessory to turn your single speed coaster into a multi speed hub). Thats got to be cool by itself let alone the whole bike :D

Yea I am pretty sure the Triplespeed hub was an add on feature. Must have been done at the dealer, it is laced to an s2 rim, appears to have been on the bike for a while.

I would like to trade the New Departure triple speed and the sweetheart sprocket for a standard phantom sprocket and wheel, if anyone out there has one.

I'm being dissolved from the inside with a seething jelousy :x
Just kidding... that is sooooo cool, excellent score :mrgreen:

Wow, that's a lot nicer than the Black Phantom I picked up! Mine's a 51, also missing the front headlight. I picked it up for $80 from a guy I bought another bike from a few weeks back. I added a link to my post but not sure if I did it right though. Great find you have there my friend.

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=68607&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p662254

You could get the right hub and swap out the guts pretty easy (that's how the dealer would of did it) without relacing anything and have a pretty significant bartering piece for other stuff you need, I would think those triplespeed kits are pretty desirable.

Back