found the wheels from my stolen bike on CL. Suggestions?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I had my mountain bike for sale on CL last week. Someone came to look at it, convinced me to throw in my shoes on the sale, then stole the bike when I went in my house. The wheels just popped up for sale, and there are other listings that I'm sure are the same guy. No phone number. Don't know how to handle this. I want the guy caught, but I don't know how much the police will be of help. They told me that if I found the bike for sale on CL, there wouldn't be much they could do without the serial number and the frame to prove it was mine. Plus he knows where I live, and I don't want my home or family at risk. What to do?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/bik/1801947639.html

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/bik/1799902907.html

Notice the floor and wall where the forks are pictured in the second ad.

My dad and his buddies had a similar thing with a boat motor. The cops were more then willing to help. Ended up getting the motor back but ended up not pressing charges. I'm assuming you don't know the serial number? Any photos? Can you identify him? Or you could always get one of your buddies to act like hes interested in buying stuff to get in there and look around, if the seller lets people come around. It's a tough situation, and depressing that the police say that they can't do much. best of luck.

Notify the cops. This guy had probably been at it for awhile and the cops know it. They have their ways of getting justice, nothing illegal of course, but there's always a way to get the job done.

Honestly, I don't want the wheels back because my insurance will give me more than I could sell them for. But, I do want the guy caught so other people are safe. I can't imagine how many thousands of dollars worth of bikes these guys have stolen.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Honestly? Mesa P.D. is about as useful as teats on a boar when it comes to situations like these! I know from numerous personal dealings. Reporting this low life to CL as a known seller of stolen goods may be a good start. Having a freind pose as a buyer to "smoke him out" is a good start, then you casually walk in on the transaction and let him know, if he is seen any where near your dwelling your neighbor "the cop" :wink: has been advised. You might want to write down his plate # in front of him and let him know that you will be giving it to your neighbor "the cop". Just might keep him away in the future. Later & PEACE!!!

old school 64 said:
Wow..this guy has quite the inventory...needs to be stopped..got to be something the police can do.. :x

I hope so. They're supposed to be by tonight. I'm not worried he'll be over again, but I really want him stopped. I've been emailing other CL sellers in the area with high end bikes to give them the heads up in the mean time.

Respond to his ads,then get a couple of friends together and pay him a visit.I think he'll be willing to return your stuff and not make anymore of it. Know what I mean?

Pm with info sent. If it is yours, hes not hiding to good. Maybe he paid a thief for his services? Either way , wrong is wrong.

bits n pieces said:
Pm with info sent. If it is yours, hes not hiding to good. Maybe he paid a thief for his services? Either way , wrong is wrong.

Thanks for the info, another member even got his address for me. I don't if it's the guy that stole it, but he for sure knows he's selling stolen goods, that is way too many parts to be ignorant of what he's selling.

Back