FOUND YESTRDAY UNKNOWN BMX & 3SPD

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FOUND THESE YESTERDAY IN FRONT OF MY LBS IN BIKE RACK "FREE NEED A HOME" ON CARDBOARD AND ROPED TO THE HANDLEBARS JUST COULDN'T PASS THEM UP
NOT SURE WHAT YEAR OR MODEL THIS IS ! ANY ONE ?? THIS ONE HAS SOME GOOD BMX PARTS ON IT
cid__1129091603.jpg

MURRAY 26" 3 SPEED NOT SURE ON THE YEAR NEED THIS ONE FOR THE RIMS
cid__1129091605.jpg

Oggy

Sweet sore! But dude are those Oakley grips, KKT pedals and a Diamond Back stem?If so then you really scored.whats the seat under that seat cover.Thats a tight old school seat cover also!

bikejunkie said:
Sweet sore! But dude are those Oakley grips, KKT pedals and a Diamond Back stem?If so then you really scored.whats the seat under that seat cover.Thats a tight old school seat cover also!

Thanks ! YUP PEDALS ARE KKT, AND THE STEM IS AERO MXII, NOT SURE WHAT THE GRIPS ARE NO MARKINGS, SEAT IS JUNK NO PADDING LEFT COVER IS CYCLE WORKS, NOT SURE WHAT THE HANDLEBARS ARE THEY ARE WIDE.
This BMX bike is almost the same as I raced when I was a kid, mine wasn't chrome thou

THANKS CHRIS-Oggy

was checking the bmx bike over it has a free wheel converstion on the coaster brake rim never had one of these before
oggy

That's definitely a Murray X-20. I have one in survivor shape that also came with Oakley knockoffs. Not the real deal unfortunately. Yours looks like they replaced the cheapo gooseneck and v-bars with a higher end stem and bars. Here's mine before I started cleaning it up. It's all original except for a GT rear tire that was put on way back in the day. Still has original reflectors and chain guard. They're decent quality for department store bikes. Finding this was what got me back into BMX after years away from it.
DSCN0189.jpg

johnny nightwolf said:
That's definitely a Murray X-20. I have one in survivor shape that also came with Oakley knockoffs. Not the real deal unfortunately. Yours looks like they replaced the cheapo gooseneck and v-bars with a higher end stem and bars. Here's mine before I started cleaning it up. It's all original except for a GT rear tire that was put on way back in the day. Still has original reflectors and chain guard. They're decent quality for department store bikes. Finding this was what got me back into BMX after years away from it.
DSCN0189.jpg

Nice bike! Yup looks like mine COOL thanks for the info !
My seat is the same , Your chain ring looks different then mine, I'm sure it has been changed. I like the bars on mine have nice fit. I have a old BMX GT FLY bike I did last year, Non correct parts on it now, I need rims and tires and a correct handle bars and stem.
I used to race a Huffy or Murray frame back in the day, I still have my number plate and ribbons I won.
I used to race the guys with the redlines and higher end bikes and beat them they would ask what kinda bike is that ? I would tell them a Huffy their jaws would drop and they would say how are you beating me with that bike ? I would laugh and say it's NOT the bike it's the Rider ! they would get mad and ride away !!! LOL !!!! Used to love that ! I had all the good upgrades on it just the frame was Huffy FUN TIMES !

Chris-oggy

Cool story man! My first ever bike was a little Kent Trail Climber 16" BMX, so I have a soft spot for department store bikes. Still have my little Kent, too!
Actually, your crank and chainwheel are probably stock. That's a Murray design, your bike is probably just earlier than mine. If you look at Murray made bikes even as far back as the 60s, they used that style chainwheel. Mine's an 84, the only way I know is because it has an Olympics sticker on the seat tube that Murray used for the 84 Olympics. I'd guess yours is 82-83. I also have a later 80s Murray Street System f/f that is pretty much the same but without any frame gussets. I picked up both of my Murrays for $40 off of craigslist. Went to check out the X20, and the guy threw in the other one for free.

johnny nightwolf said:
Cool story man! My first ever bike was a little Kent Trail Climber 16" BMX, so I have a soft spot for department store bikes. Still have my little Kent, too!
Actually, your crank and chainwheel are probably stock. That's a Murray design, your bike is probably just earlier than mine. If you look at Murray made bikes even as far back as the 60s, they used that style chainwheel. Mine's an 84, the only way I know is because it has an Olympics sticker on the seat tube that Murray used for the 84 Olympics. I'd guess yours is 82-83. I also have a later 80s Murray Street System f/f that is pretty much the same but without any frame gussets. I picked up both of my Murrays for $40 off of craigslist. Went to check out the X20, and the guy threw in the other one for free.

Thanks ! I had a few kents in my day never could keep the crank pins in. Yeah i have soft spot for dept bikes too,and build them every day ! LOL ! I never could afford name brand bikes. I haven't check the numbers on the frame yet , I have a 68-69 western flyer buzz bike same chain ring. 82-83 you say that's cool.
Where in upstate NY do you live ?

Chris

Actually, I need to change that. I moved from Kingston, NY to Texas about 3 months ago. 28 years of cold NY winters was about enough. Don't bother with the numbers on the frame. Murray serial numbers won't give you a build date.

johnny nightwolf said:
Actually, I need to change that. I moved from Kingston, NY to Texas about 3 months ago. 28 years of cold NY winters was about enough. Don't bother with the numbers on the frame. Murray serial numbers won't give you a build date.

Oh warmer weather don't blame ya , I'm getting tired of the cold winters also, my arthritis is killing me this time of the year. Ok cool I won't bother with the numbers then
later oggy

Back