Free '53

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Went for a ride to test out the trike I got and on my way back I stopped at the LBS to get a horn for my trike and the guy says hey I just threw out an old Schwinn frame if you want it. Ivlook and there is this old 1953 Schwinn painted "Richard Petty blue". I already have a few ideas for this one.

image-21.jpg

Cool score. A number 43 53.

dragnusa said:
sweet find, hows the paint on it?
It's not bad but it's got some nicks and scratches in a few spots. I have an idea that involves patina anyway so I'm not worried about it.

outskirtscustoms said:
dragnusa said:
It's not bad but it's got some nicks and scratches in a few spots. I have an idea that involves patina anyway so I'm not worried about it.

OH FOR GOD'S SAKE! That is PETTY BLUE! Don't patina/rust it! This is screaming a muscle bike build! A slim tank with "43" on the sides and an "STP" logo for the headbadge. Racing slick in the rear, old school stick-shift out of a Sears Spider, oh the ideas!

Now what fool in their right mind would throw that frame out?

partsguy said:
outskirtscustoms said:
dragnusa said:

OH FOR GOD'S SAKE! That is PETTY BLUE! Don't patina/rust it! This is screaming a muscle bike build! A slim tank with "43" on the sides and an "STP" logo for the headbadge. Racing slick in the rear, old school stick-shift out of a Sears Spider, oh the ideas!

Now what fool in their right mind would throw that frame out?

I was actually thinking along those lines but to look race beaten and weathered. Kinda race and rat. :wink:

oh ok. I thought you doing something nasty to it. The Petty Blue is very sacred, especially to us NASCAR fans.

BRAINSTORM! I just got an idea to pay tribute to the 1970 Winged Warriors! Find yourself a really tall sissy bar, at least 2 ft above the seat and have the chrome stripped off and the sissy bar painted to match the bike!

partsguy said:
oh ok. I thought you doing something nasty to it. The Petty Blue is very sacred, especially to us NASCAR fans.

BRAINSTORM! I just got an idea to pay tribute to the 1970 Winged Warriors! Find yourself a really tall sissy bar, at least 2 ft above the seat and have the chrome stripped off and the sissy bar painted to match the bike!

Just wait, I got a few crutches in the shed yet...I also still have a few fenders and chain guards and cranks exc. from other Schwinns that got parted and I do have a couple of old forks laying around to chop and hammer over the others. I'm shooting for the look of a 1970's home built chopper bike owned by a young Richard Petty fan ridden hard and put up wet, forgotten and riddled with patina till years later when it is found and loved again without changing a thing.

I'm surprised that the LBS guy threw it away. I would've figured that you're there enough he would've started making a "pile" for you to pick up each time you stop by!

That's definitely a keeper. I was thinking a Daytona/Superbird tribute build too. That'll rock!

Wildcat said:
A 53 schwinn with a headbadge! I waited years to get mine.
Lol yeah that was missing when I got it, I just happened to have an extra with screws laying in my toolbox from another parted Schwinn.

Chips_Mahoy said:
I'm surprised that the LBS guy threw it away. I would've figured that you're there enough he would've started making a "pile" for you to pick up each time you stop by!

That's definitely a keeper. I was thinking a Daytona/Superbird tribute build too. That'll rock!
Our lbs guy is a joke and thinks old bikes are junk. If you bring in any department store bike he tells you the dumpster is out back. That's why his dumpster is on my daily round ride.

outskirtscustoms said:
partsguy said:

Just wait, I got a few crutches in the shed yet...I also still have a few fenders and chain guards and cranks exc. from other Schwinns that got parted and I do have a couple of old forks laying around to chop and hammer over the others. I'm shooting for the look of a 1970's home built chopper bike owned by a young Richard Petty fan ridden hard and put up wet, forgotten and riddled with patina till years later when it is found and loved again without changing a thing.

Something along the lines of this ?

DSCN1866.jpg

outskirts,
What type of banana seat is that? Or better question, do you know what type of bike it was on originally? Murray maybe? I'd like to find one for a Muscle bike idea I'm knocking around in my noggin.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
outskirts,
What type of banana seat is that? Or better question, do you know what type of bike it was on originally? Murray maybe? I'd like to find one for a Muscle bike idea I'm knocking around in my noggin.

Cheers,
Dr. T
I have no idea I got it with a Ross Baracuda 16" but I know it's not original to it.

Latest posts

Back