Free Pole Barn Bikes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I got a huge framed Fuji, a Schwinn Traveler, a Peugeot lugged mountain bike, a GT mountain bike with front shock, and an inexpensive extremely heavy Next full suspension mountain bike just for hauling them all away. The Peugeot lugged frame could be used for the basis of a touring bike as the frame is fairly robust but very light. I am tossing the Next into my scrap trailer. I want to fix up the GT to use as a guest mountain bike. I have no need of the huge Fuji as it is way too big for me. I might scrap it as it has some interesting parts. The Schwinn Traveler looks original except the seat and seems to be in good shape but there is no air in the tires so I can't tell if the wheels are as true as they seem when I spin them. The Schwinn paint is good. I will probably sell or give the Schwinn away. The Peugeot wheels are very straight, but the GT has an out of round front.

Last edited:
That Peugeot is a strong bike.
I have one identical. I used it the last year. Now is parts for cleaning and rebuilding.
It has a Tange frame.
Nice hauling. You have there 400...500$, if you have the parts to rebuild those bikes (exept the Next).

That Peugeot is a strong bike.
I have one identical. I used it the last year. Now is parts for cleaning and rebuilding.
It has a Tange frame.
Nice hauling. You have there 400...500$, if you have the parts to rebuild those bikes (exept the Next).
I think the Schwinn might be a Japan bike as it has a lugged frame. It has a local hunting store sticker on it that sold Schwinn's but they went out of business in about 1980. The serial number begins with 78 so I assume it is a 1978. The color and looks are like the 1978 ones I see on the internet, but who knows?

Them Schwinn's have numbers all over (I just got a Traveler today!)
rear dropout by the derailleur... letter then 4 digits. Digits are mmyy. G letter is Taiwan (Giant) Japan says Japan on the headbadge...There's probably more info but that's what I got searching for mine...

Carl.

Them Schwinn's have numbers all over (I just got a Traveler today!)
rear dropout by the derailleur... letter then 4 digits. Digits are mmyy. G letter is Taiwan (Giant) Japan says Japan on the headbadge...There's probably more info but that's what I got searching for mine...

Carl.
Thanks, this was very helpful. I just checked again and it has Japan on the head badge. The only numbers (no letters) on the frame are by the derailleur on the dropout - as follows 78 04 071 42
The head badge has 1108 stamped in it meaning 110 day of 1978 according to the Re-Cycle web page. I want to sell the Traveler, thinking $50 - perhaps as high as $80 but it needs tires, chain and an original seat. Is this reasonable do you think?

Last edited:
If I find a Traveler like yours for 40...50$, I'll buy it in a second.
A new chain is 10$, two tires 20$, the seat doesn't look too bad and sell it for 130...150. Some cleaning.
You can make nice money on it.
But if it is not working condition, you can get 40...50, not 80.

That fuji is a tall frame, I would flip it instead of scrapping it. There is a good many people looking for the tall frame bikes.
Scraping that Fuji is not a good idea. It is hard to find a 25...26" frame.

If it's not whacked, I'd snag the front hoop off the Next before tossing it. Crappy frame and fork aside, the parts on those are good enough for casual use.
I looked at the Next closer and it is a 24 inch. I can use the wheels so those are saved. I have at least 5 bikes like the Next in my scrap trailer and don't need another, the crank is steel but the stem might be of passing interest. I have 27 bikes now and only have room for about 22 - 25 so I have to get rid of some of these.

Scraping that Fuji is not a good idea. It is hard to find a 25...26" frame.
OK ,but I don't have room for it and can't ride it. I came across 3 similar Schwinn's and 2 Fuji's in the last year. I just gave a Chicago Schwinn Varsity away last week as it had a huge frame. It seems like I see quite a few big frame Fuji's and Schwinn's; more Schwinn's than Fuji's. The Fuji is a pretty nice road bike. I don't have time to try and sell it, they don't sell here. There was the same Fuji in a yard, for sale all last summer here and no one would buy it for $50. It may have had the same sized frame or a little smaller. It is probably still in the yard, unless he gave it away.

I looked at the Next closer and it is a 24 inch. I can use the wheels so those are saved. I have at least 5 bikes like the Next in my scrap trailer and don't need another, the crank is steel but the stem might be of passing interest. I have 27 bikes now and only have room for about 22 - 25 so I have to get rid of some of these.
Or get another trailer.

If I find a Traveler like yours for 40...50$, I'll buy it in a second.
A new chain is 10$, two tires 20$, the seat doesn't look too bad and sell it for 130...150. Some cleaning.
You can make nice money on it.
But if it is not working condition, you can get 40...50, not 80.
It's for sale: $50 + shipping. I have a road bike shipping box. I don't know what it would cost to ship to Ohio, probably too much. The seat has a tear but I probably have a better seat to toss in. There is a little damage where the seat stays meet the seat tube on one side. It looks like it got pushed in with a wrench when someone tried to tighten the seat post clamp. There is a rusty shim above the seat post tube and I wonder if someone had the wrong smaller post and tried to really tork it. If I don't sell it in a few days I will give it away to a local bike kids co op.

Or get another trailer.
I had 7 trailers and am now down to 5. I cut up two of them and put them on the scrap trailer about 3 years ago. I still have the frame steel from one of them. Too much stuff. I got so much scrap now that I will probably have to borrow my neighbors double axle trailer to haul it away.

Nice.that's better than I have. I'm working with anywhere between50&75 bikes in a 8 x12 shed and a bike rack holding around 17 of em and ten in garage.

Schwinn fans would rather have a Japan built like yours,
than the one from Taiwan that I have. $50 is a deal.

Carl.

Schwinn fans would rather have a Japan built like yours,
than the one from Taiwan that I have. $50 is a deal.

Carl.
It's fairly light. I expected it to be like a Chicago Schwinn but was surprised when I grabbed it. I din't even notice it had a lugged frame until I unloaded it at home.

Latest posts

Back