Free Scrap Pile Schwinn

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother works for a local Electric Company so he finds crap loads of "stuff" constantly. He asked me one day if Id want an old Schwinn frame a guy said he could have and I said sure. Here is what he brought me....anyone have a clue on the year? late '40s or early '50s???

fff002.jpg

Im gonna do some sanding and "rusting" hopefully. Any ideas on helping things along? A friend who is a black smith said to sand it down and then rub hydrogen peroxide on it? Another friend said he heard using saltwater repeatedly would work. Im bidding on some killer forks on evilbay at the moment...hope to get this bike built before the Shades of the Past car show in Pigeon Forge in September. Gotta have a rat bike to cruise the parking lots and side walks on LOL. Any input is welcome!!!

im gonna say 50s, chainguard has a flat spot for a decal, probably hornet or a wasp, but could be anything. check the site at "bunch-o-bikes" after you get the serial # and it will tell you for sure what year it is. jut sand it and bring it to southern illinois. it will rust :)

yep, check that ser#. definatly looks early 50's and what a sweet find. oldroads is a good one to check out for finding the date. sounds like you got some really cool plans for it and it should definatly be a good build.

deorman said:
Just leave it outside. If grass will grow there, so will rust. :lol:

haha good one :roll: Thanks for the input guys. Just got in from totally disassembling her. I scored a way awesome set of springer forks off ebay today...

BW1ZkbwBWkKGrHgoOKjEjlLmZDmvBKZRTg1.jpg

I hope they'll work on this frame!!

What do ya think???

Should work... don't know how the head tube length will match up to the steer tube, that's always the question... cool springer, love the bike :D And free is tough to beat

Unchained said:
Should work... don't know how the head tube length will match up to the steer tube, that's always the question... cool springer, love the bike :D And free is tough to beat

Thanks bro! 8) I almost didnt bid on the forks...think I got raped at $75.00?? I love the look...if they wont fit this frame Ill find one they'll fit!

Not raped but that is the upper end price of those forks from my searching. Any bike you put them on, you will recoup your money. Are they girl's forks, meaning does the steerer tube length fit a girl's frame? If so it will be hard to put them in a boy's frame unless you find a bike shop that can re-thread them. It can be done easily and should cost right around $25. The threading die is $170 itself!

JLarkin said:
Not raped but that is the upper end price of those forks from my searching. Any bike you put them on, you will recoup your money. Are they girl's forks, meaning does the steerer tube length fit a girl's frame? If so it will be hard to put them in a boy's frame unless you find a bike shop that can re-thread them. It can be done easily and should cost right around $25. The threading die is $170 itself!

Wellllll...Im not 100% sure if they were from a girl's or boy's bike...guess Ill find out soon enough :shock:

Where there is a will...there is a way! I just got in from working on her again...put a rusty Hawthorne rear fender on and used the rear one on it in the pic and did some cutting and reshaping on it...then put it on the front. Ill snap some pics tomorrow...I think Im gonn a have to use a smaller tire on the front (got some wide whites) or swap to a 24 incher. Its gonna look sweet Im thinking. Rat Rods...who would have thunk theyd be sooooo cool>? :wink:

Need to get a pic up...but I put my new springer forks on yesterday and they are awesome! :) They WERE from a girl's bike...but I made them work by using a spare bearing retainer from another bike and grounding the inside thread down smooth...then sliding it down and putting another threaded one on top to hold it. Presto! :D Anyways...Ill try to get a pic posted soon...its raining like mad here now...Im gettign really stoked on these rat bikes. Two manohts ago I had one old Firestone bike hanging in the rafters...today I have 10 bikes! It's addictive!!!!

Back