Freight Train 1896

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I decided to jump in the build off because I was planing on building this any way . This is a 1896 Barnes and Sterns rear steer Racing tandem . This bike could be one of the oldest build of bikes in build off history ??? The bike was $150 in 1896 . There’s a lot not correct on this bike . But the frame fork cranks & seat post are original. Someone tried a restoration in the 1970s based on the parts that aren’t correct on the bike. I may keep the cranks and chain rings? I’ll see how this progresses but a lot of the 1970s pieces are going .
IMG_2108.jpeg

Last edited:
The tear down has started.
Now do I a leave this bike the way it is or paint it ?
A, paint white the original color and a major undertaking . As white never looks right as it did originally.
B, Paint it Black it’s easy in comparison and most bikes were this color fitting this time.
C , leave it in its natural patinas state just oil it down .
IMG_4154.jpeg

A, paint white the original color and a major undertaking . As white never looks right as it did originally.
B, Paint it Black it’s easy in comparison and most bikes were this color fitting this time.
C , leave it in its natural patinas state just oil it down .View attachment 235748

If it were me, I would give it the BLO treatment initially and get it moving and riding the way you want.

Can always strip and paint it later after it's riding.

Original ad . I’m going to try to duplicate this look . Being the set up bars seats ect . Bike was originally white I’ll likely just leave the patina with traces of original paint. View attachment 235141
WOW: I did the currency and inflation calculations: that’d be like a ~$5400 bike today!!!!!!

1 1896 USD. = $36.11 2023 dollars!!!!!

C , leave it in its natural patinas state just oil it down .View attachment 235748
Bike is beautiful as-is: oil ‘er up and leave that patina!

I’m playing around I matched the original remants of the white paint. I’m mixing two colors letting it get tacky . Them wiping it with goo gone just leaving enough to recreate remants of patina paint. Only because. TOC bikes were always black this bike was originally White ! The frame had been painted black in places later in its life . I’m ghosting in traces of white . If I don’t like the results it’s pretty easy to undo . The right post is the one I’m test painting the left post is what it looked like before .
IMG_4229.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back