Freight Train 1896

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rim strips .
IMG_4301.jpeg

Since Tom Sawyer was written in 1876, it is appropriate that you whitewash it.

d1082_norman-rockwell-whitewashing-the-fence-cu-1.jpg

Since Tom Sawyer was written in 1876, it is appropriate that you whitewash it.

View attachment 236106
I literally painted the bike to unpaint the bike . The idea was to fill the light pitting holes with matching white paint . I was also able to recover more of the original paint that was hiding under an old black repaint that was also remants . I wanted to do this and keep as much original paint as I could find because bikes other than black were pretty rare at this time period. Also by cleaning the frame up some keeping original patina I was able to be certain the frame was structurally Intact. That was important to me more so being a tandem .

I literally painted the bike to I paint the bike the idea was to fill the light pitting holes with matching white paint . I was also able to recover more of the original paint that was hiding under an old black repaint that was also remants . Also by cleaning the frame up some keeping original patina I was able to be certain the frame was structurally Intact. That was important to me more do being a tandem .

It's coming out great so far. Always love your creative attention to detail.

It’s on the road even though the bike isn’t finished I rode it 2 miles a mile in the back seat & a mile in the front seat . I’m changing the rear seat to match the front seat better . Ordering bar tape . Plus a few other things. One other thing worth mentioning this bike is freaking tall. I’m 6’ tall and this bike is challenging to get on . It’s supposed to have 28” wheels . I used 26” because of the wood grain paint with a tall tire . I’m glad it’s not any taller .
IMG_4310.jpeg

Sir Tanksalot, you have a really cool build going here! I'd say those leather seats look like a pretty good match, too.

What are your plans for bar tape, front and back bar, correct? Maybe the old cotton tape style, stained to look aged to match your cool paint-ina you've got going? An off - white cotton tape with some tinting and stain / weathering.

Or this one comes in 19 different colors.... I've also seen varnish or shellac as a finish over vintage bar tape that gives it a neat look.
cotton tape.jpg

RaT oN....in fact, DouBle RaT oN~!

Get this locomotive and caboose to the depot, brother!

clock ticking.gif

This is my latest reason why in my opinion EBay has gone down the tubes . Chinese drop shippers posing as US sellers !!! They dont even take the ad down when they are out of stock ! I purposefully purchased it twice off the same seller just to be refunded . I guess they don’t realize thier Amazon seller / supplier . Is taking pre orders for next year ! I finally got what I needed on the 5th try !
IMG_6652.png

Last edited:
Worth the wait. That cork looks great.

Latest posts

Back