French Toast

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought that I'd start another project. I started with a Motobecane.... :roll: (Pause for effect) Made in France........ :roll: (Another pause) It was obvious to me, that this bike needed a new Rattitide.
HPIM0305.jpg

After beating out, the stupid little pins that hold the crank in, it was time to start cutting. I thought that by flipping the fork tube, I could stretch it a bit, and add a bit of rake at the same time. Of course........ The down tube and the top tube were two different diameters...... So I cut grooves in the stub of the top tube, and slid the down tube over it.
HPIM0306.jpg

That added another 10 inches to the wheel base.....It got dark, so I thought I'd leave it there for a while..... More to follow.

Thunder said:
After beating out, the stupid little pins that hold the crank in

Cotter pins are the highlight of any build. I know they put a smile on my face when my arm is numb, end mushroomed, and paint chipped from wailing on them all day long. On more helpfull note, you might want to keep some of the parts around as French bikes have a tendencey to have odd sized parts. Otherwise I'm excited to see how it turns out.

The frame turned out really interesting looking with it flipped like that.

Here's a mock up of one possible configuration. I'm sure you have some ideas already though.

It should look good once it's done.

Frenchtwist.jpg

maddogrider said:
Come on Uncle Stretch. I've been watchin your work and if i was a bettin man i would bet you use a sazall. :mrgreen:
AKKKKK Wrong answer. All that back and fort stuff makes me dizzy....I have a Porta Bandsaw. If theives broke into my shop and stole every tool I have ,tomorrow I would buy another porta bandsaw. It has lasted for 20 years almost daily use without a blip. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Some people like the town for the beer ,with me its the tools... milwaukee.

Uncle Stretch said:
maddogrider said:
Come on Uncle Stretch. I've been watchin your work and if i was a bettin man i would bet you use a sazall. :mrgreen:
AKKKKK Wrong answer. All that back and fort stuff makes me dizzy....I have a Porta Bandsaw. If theives broke into my shop and stole every tool I have ,tomorrow I would buy another porta bandsaw. It has lasted for 20 years almost daily use without a blip. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Some people like the town for the beer ,with me its the tools... milwaukee.

:D :D :D :D My favorite tool as well!! :D :D :D :D

Man i am glad i didnt bet. I think my weapon of choice is the sawzall (Milwakee) there is no substatute. :D
that frame idea is pretty cool man keep cuttin and weldin.

Nope cutting wheel or a gas axe for me. At any rate, here's where I'm at.
HPIM0312.jpg

This little French Poodle :shock: needed some American Steel! I used an old "T" post as a down tube. I tried to bend one into shape, and had numerous problems. When I heated it up, to bend it, it collapsed. When I tried to bend it cold, it kept rolling and twisting. as a last resort, I cut & welded this piece. If it holds together, I'll drill out the holes a bunch larger. like it was done "back in the day". I was hoping to get more angle into the downtube, but the lighweight construction of the original frame, didn't lend itself to welding. In fact, the original frame is assembled much like sweat soldered plumbing. So all of those details, are actually fittings. because of this, both the frame & T post, are slotted, slip fit, and brazed together. this is the reason why the bottom piece does not match the angle of the top tube. Not enough contact area. So, as I mentioned, if it holds together, I'll continue with this build. However, next time. I will start with American Steel!!!!

Back