Fresh find (sort of) J C Higgins

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked this up about 4 weeks ago, and never got around to posting it. Now I'm trying to date it, along with a friends. Any help on either would be greatly appreciated. Also, looking for parts for mine. I posted this in the "wanted" section.

Here's mine, a JCH Colorflow.

001-18.jpg

BB reads: (I think)
MOSR
MOD 502-28

014-4.jpg

Here's my neighbors. And yes, I've tried to talk him out of it so I'd have "his and hers", but he's not budging :?

002-8.jpg

BB reads: (less confident on this one)

MOST
MOD 502 45460 (these last five digits are upside down)

006-7.jpg

Looks oddly farmiliar... :wink:

I might be able to get you the bottom half of the Batwing. If you were feeling frisky, it might be possible to make a molded copy of a top half from it.

Nice! :D I would date the girl's colorflo as about 1955. The men's bicycle is much easier to date, and I think I can say it with greater confidence; the men's "jet flo" model with the jet pipe tank, conical reflector bezel, the particular parts and colors it has, was only offered mid or late year 1956 and continued in production until sometime during 1957 (I don't know at what point during the year it was discontinued or changed). It was only offered as a 26 inch model. I would say your neighbor's is early in that span, early in the run of 1956, as it does not have the visored headlight (from what I can see). The headlight is turned so that I cannot see for sure; if the headlight is a visored original, then the bicycle would be late '56 or into '57. The 502 code on both bikes refers (as I recently learned) to the fact that the bikes were sold through Sears. Awesome bikes!

Unchained said:
Nice! :D I would date the girl's colorflo as about 1955. The men's bicycle is much easier to date, and I think I can say it with greater confidence; the men's "jet flo" model with the jet pipe tank, conical reflector bezel, the particular parts and colors it has, was only offered mid or late year 1956 and continued in production until sometime during 1957 (I don't know at what point during the year it was discontinued or changed). It was only offered as a 26 inch model. I would say your neighbor's is early in that span, early in the run of 1956, as it does not have the visored headlight (from what I can see). The headlight is turned so that I cannot see for sure; if the headlight is a visored original, then the bicycle would be late '56 or into '57. The 502 code on both bikes refers (as I recently learned) to the fact that the bikes were sold through Sears. Awesome bikes!

Headlight is not visored, so it must be a 56.
Thanks Unchained!

Two years ago, I could of bought the boys bike for a song. Wasn't into bikes at the time, and passed. (dummy) Now I can't even talk him out of it with a baseball bat........

You're welcome :D I'd say '56 for sure then, if the headlight is not visored. I don't know if there's a way to tell specifically at what point in the year it was made, I haven't heard of one yet but there may be. These really are nice-riding, well built bikes, it's too bad he won't sell it. I owned and sold the first of these two, and currently own the second:

sw4p6v.jpg

dw9hk2.jpg

Unchained said:
You're welcome :D I'd say '56 for sure then, if the headlight is not visored. I don't know if there's a way to tell specifically at what point in the year it was made, I haven't heard of one yet but there may be. These really are nice-riding, well built bikes, it's too bad he won't sell it. I owned and sold the first of these two, and currently own the second:

I'd be afraid to even sit on the first one :)

I've rode both these, and agree. They are nice to ride. Not too fun carrying up and down steps though...... :D

Back